New Products - September 2020

Per the Coming Soon page, the V5 Distance Sensor and V5 Optical Sensor are now available to purchase from the US VEX Website (Availability varies for international sites). They can be found here:

Unfortunately, there’s been a slight shipping delay for the V5 Rotation Sensor that will cause it to miss its estimated availability of Q3. However, we still expect to receive our stock of those in the next few weeks, and for those to be available by the end of October. The Coming Soon page has been updated to reflect this new ETA.

(And before anyone asks, CAD Files will be added to the product pages shortly)

39 Likes

kewl

4 Likes

awesome!
Now we have a reliable way of detecting colors, just in time for ball sorting to be relatively useless in virtual competitions!

but in all seriousness, very cool. vrc has needed color detection for a long time, and having an upgraded ultrasonic will be useful as well.

31 Likes

Did a shipping crate fall into the ocean?

36 Likes

Did they all get bought out instantly or something?

no, both the distance and optical sensors are still in stock.

He’s referring to the rotation sensor being delayed due to shipping issues

1 Like

All of the new sensors are out of stock for every country/continent, apart from in the USA. They’re from NZ I believe, so they aren’t available to them.

2 Likes

What frequency of light does the distance sensor emit?

In particular, clear polycarbonate (such as that used in the field perimeter) may be transparent to IR. Does the new distance sensor work against the transparent parts of the field perimeter?

10 Likes

The description of the distance sensor says that “The approximate object size is reported as small, medium or large, and is useful for determining if the target is a wall or a game object” So I would assume it works against the field perimeter polycarb.

5 Likes

yes the distance sensor will work with clear polycarb. I tested with both 1/16 and 1/8 inch thicknesses.

17 Likes

26 Likes

Not necessarily a “new” product, but I didn’t feel that starting a new thread was necessary.

The GDC has decided to make VEXpro Straight Flex Wheels legal for VRC. The applicable wheels (and their required adapters) can now be found on the V5 section of the website.

Direct link here: https://www.vexrobotics.com/vrc-flex-wheels.html

54 Likes

Drow, that sure is pog

7 Likes

The game has been literally changed up.

25 Likes

Can you use 5 inch wheels?

The hidden meaning behind the name is that you are flexing on your opponents if you have them.

10 Likes

This… changes… everything.

2 Likes

We seriously just ordered parts…

3 Likes

Now I can make a squishy drive!

4 Likes

I was having a discussion 5 days ago on the discord on how there was no reason these shouldn’t be legal for VRC, and now they legalized them. This is either just a big a coincidence, or the GDC just really likes my ideas.

15 Likes