New sensors for 2020

Does anyone have an idea when and what smart sensors will be coming out next year?

i remember once reading something on the V5 page about LIDAR and an IMU I think? but it’s been a while.

Here are future enhancements on https://www.vexrobotics.com/v5-architecture.html

V5 is ready for our next batch of smart sensors:

• LiDAR
  • 3-Axis Gyro + 3-Axis Accelerometer
  • 3-Wire Expander
  • Rotation Sensor

I think something similar to the LED Touch Sensor would be nice for teaching the students different programming concepts.

With V5 distribution being the disaster that it is, it seems unlikely that new sensors will be coming out anytime soon.

The new gyros and accelerometers are going to up the game so much in terms of auto, the vision sensor is honestly a huge joke

Haha that’s true but I was hoping the new sensors come out before the new season so I could understand that the sensors and actually get to work with them

Vision sensor was a disappointment.

I hope we get new sensors, but vex can’t keep a consistent stock of the current V5 stuff, can they really add new products?

i dont think so but we will see

I just want a speaker

Could you elaborate more on this? My team is still debating on whether to order one and I think details on this could be useful.

I cannot speak for him, only for myself and my own experiences. The vex vision sensor is very hard to implement correctly in a robot. it requires hours of programming and continual re-tuning of vision signatures. when implemented correctly, such as how team 1200Z uses it to horizontally align in under half a second to perfectly shoot flags every time, it can be deadly. It is very hard to use from a code standpoint because of how buggy v5 is tho. I think that getting one to play around with is a good idea, but be open to the idea that you will need to spend a lot of time debugging and positioning and calibrating it.

A lot of people seem to be saying things like “the vision sensor is a joke” but that seems a little odd! It’s such a powerful tool (as Pixy has been for Arduino users for a while) but it’s not a silver bullet. It’s probably the most complex sensor that VEX offers and to get the most out of it teams might need to up their code game. If LiDAR ever happens, that is going to throw out a load of data that people are going to have to work out how to handle. It won’t make your robot any better in itself.
LiDAR and a better gyro would be ace. Coupled with the vision sensor, that’s a pretty neat set of sensors.

Agreed. One sensor rarely gives the full picture. But as we get a wider range of sensors, the students will be able to get a better ‘layered’ picture to work with.

Once the continue to release more advanced sensors,
it will be a lot of fun to see how everyone finds unique and clever ways to combine them for more advanced routines.

What: I’m hoping a new ultrasonic or potentiometer. But vex has a list

When: well don’t expect to get them before 2021 lol