New to v5... need help programming

Hey i’m new to the v5 world. Can someone give me some info on programming and how to start coding auton?
Thanks!

0 Likes

If you know ROBOTC already, the transition guides will be a good source- that’s how I learned VCS. The link is: https://education.vex.com/xyleme_content/robotc-vcs/pdf/robotc-vcs.pdf

0 Likes

yo thanks so much. Are you in high school or middle school? I think I saw your team at worlds, but I’m not sure.

0 Likes

I’m in middle school, team 7830C

1 Like

I’d strongly recommend using something other than VCS. At the bare minimum switch to VexCode, and maybe consider some other options like Robot Mesh Studio.

2 Likes

What language does that use?

0 Likes

There are a variety you can choose from, such as blockly (graphical that is translated into python), python, C++, and JavaScript.

1 Like

does blockly have the same capabilities as c++?

0 Likes

It has many of the capabilities, but I’m pretty sure it lacks more advanced concepts such as OOP. I don’t have much experience with it though. @Rick_TYler would be better able to comment.

And to be clear, these languages are available in RMS, not VexCode. VexCode can only use C++.

0 Likes

Can you explain OOP? sorry imma noob.

0 Likes

Object Oriented Programming. It’s a way of organizing information in a programming environment, and many (if not most) modern languages have some implementation of it.

@sazrocks Blockly does exposes some functionality of Python lists, so it’s not completely hopeless on the data structures front. For example, I built a Minesweeper implementation with Blockly for the V5 touch screen that models the game board as a multi dimensional list. Mostly just to show that Blockly can do real things if you want it to.

2 Likes

I would recommend PROS but it is for more advanced programmers. Since it is the beginning of the season you will have plenty of time to learn PROS.

1 Like