New to v5... need help programming

Hey i’m new to the v5 world. Can someone give me some info on programming and how to start coding auton?
Thanks!

1 Like

If you know ROBOTC already, the transition guides will be a good source- that’s how I learned VCS. The link is: https://education.vex.com/xyleme_content/robotc-vcs/pdf/robotc-vcs.pdf

yo thanks so much. Are you in high school or middle school? I think I saw your team at worlds, but I’m not sure.

I’m in middle school, team 7830C

1 Like

I’d strongly recommend using something other than VCS. At the bare minimum switch to VexCode, and maybe consider some other options like Robot Mesh Studio.

3 Likes

What language does that use?

There are a variety you can choose from, such as blockly (graphical that is translated into python), python, C++, and JavaScript.

1 Like

does blockly have the same capabilities as c++?

It has many of the capabilities, but I’m pretty sure it lacks more advanced concepts such as OOP. I don’t have much experience with it though. @Rick_TYler would be better able to comment.

And to be clear, these languages are available in RMS, not VexCode. VexCode can only use C++.

Can you explain OOP? sorry imma noob.

Object Oriented Programming. It’s a way of organizing information in a programming environment, and many (if not most) modern languages have some implementation of it.

@sazrocks Blockly does exposes some functionality of Python lists, so it’s not completely hopeless on the data structures front. For example, I built a Minesweeper implementation with Blockly for the V5 touch screen that models the game board as a multi dimensional list. Mostly just to show that Blockly can do real things if you want it to.

2 Likes

I would recommend PROS but it is for more advanced programmers. Since it is the beginning of the season you will have plenty of time to learn PROS.

1 Like

I’d strongly recommend using something other than VCS. At the bare minimum switch to VexCode, and maybe consider some other options like Robot Mesh Studio.

May I ask why you suggest avoiding VCS? My students used it a bit last season and liked it, but we are still rookies. If it’s a poor choice, I’d prefer to steer them toward something better this year.

VCS was released last September or so and was supposed to receive an update last October. It still hasn’t gotten that update. It is also simply a terrible version of VEXCode. VCS lacks almost every basic feature, including but not limited to being able to open more than one file and every single keyboard shortcut. It also is prone to crashing (it crashed a ton for me) and takes up an insane amount of processing power (it slowed my entire system down).

It just isn’t worth your time to struggle with that kind of thing and is really the furthest thing from real industry. PROS is definitely the best option to train your students for what they might be doing in their future. https://pros.cs.purdue.edu/

2 Likes