New v5 Video, New Thread

This is actually looking pretty nice, thoughts?

To tack onto the excitement that Paul has created over the past few days, as a special treat to our community, we’d like to share our V5 Splash page. We’ll be spreading more buzz at CES next week, but feel free to help start the conversation between now and then!

wait it’s touchscreen?!

and lol, three ppl just posted the same link

are we getting a new programming platform?

Yay! FPV from smartphones. Also, the new Vex coding studio looks cool, finally an upgrade from the robotc sdk.

Just to clarify, is the programming language changing from C to C++?

syntax completion and themes. That’s all I needed to hear lol.
V5 actually looks soooooo good though. It looks like such an upgrade on absolutely everything just about!

3 things I love:

1. Wifi camera
  2. The amazing trade-in program
  3. My programmer is jumping for joy after seeing the new coding interface

3 things I don’t love

1. I bet you my Y E E E Z Y S you aren’t going to be allowed to use the FPV functionality of the camera in competitions
  2. Joystick placement looking like a Wii U
  3. You are 100% going to have to do some sort of tracking for next year’s game, which doesn’t call for anything we want in the Future Games thread.

is the next year’s game going to include like 2 kg objects to throw? I’m pretty suspicious of motor power increasing 2 times. That would make this year’s game like so easy

I wouldn’t be so sure. Paul has stated that for the next two years the current system will still be supported so they can’t really build a game that completely excludes old cortex users.

Depending on the specs of the motors, with 8 V5 motors I can probably run a base with 2 600 rpm motors geared down.

hmm, does vex have a top speed record?

If you go to the V5 splash page and scroll to joystick and brain, you can click and drag to rotate the joystick and brain

How do secure the V5 cortex to your robot?

certified VEX Hydro zipties

edit, looking at the 3-d model it appears as if you put screws that go into the cortex rather than having a tab that comes out with holes

@Paul Copioli @DRow I’m interested in developing stereo vision and machine learning library’s for vex v5 stuff. Sadly, I am unable to make it to CES, can you provide me with the API for the new coding environment? In the event you don’t pick me as a beta tester or provide me good documentation (that would suck) I have a few questions to ask about v5 so that I can start developing my own software (which by the way, I would be very happy to see as official librarys for VEX, please contact me if interested).

• 1: What processor does v5 use?
  • 2: Does v5 have a gpu or video acceleration chip onboard, if so, what is it?
  • 3: Can you grab raw video from the vision sensor if so, what quality, framerate, and latency can we expect?
  • 4: Is v5 capable of supporting two cameras at the same time?
  • 5: What library’s are available to support matrix’s and matrix math?

I’m betting that the v5 will have an APU.

the vision sensor description said it is an “collaborative evolution of the Pixy Camera”

this is the pixy camera

it has 50 fps, can connect to your computer for a live stream, and can identify multiple objects and marks using a color sensor

This is the specs of the pixy cam so you can guess its similar. You will notice (should have been obvious if you knew anything about how the pixy works) that you could certainly not do any onboard conv nets. Real researchers worked on the pixy cam, you are not going to get better performance than them using the same chip.

Technical specs
Processor: NXP LPC4330, 204 MHz, dual core
Image sensor: Omnivision OV9715, 1/4", 1280x800
Lens field-of-view: 75 degrees horizontal, 47 degrees vertical
Lens type: standard M12 (several different types available)
Power consumption: 140 mA typical
Power input: USB input (5V) or unregulated input (6V to 10V)
RAM: 264K bytes
Flash: 1M bytes
Available data outputs: UART serial, SPI, I2C, USB, digital, analog
Dimensions: 2.1" x 2.0" x 1.4
Weight: 27 grams

Remember, it’s called the Vision Sensor not the V5 camera, subtle difference.

I’m not going to deny that, but the pixy cam doesn’t do depth perception, nor is it able to accurately differentiate complex objects