Nonfunctional Decorations

I’m using lexan on my tray and it uses up most of the 12x24 sheet. Would another sheet on the back be considered nonfunctional? It would just be for a team logo. And maybe some stickers.

Decorations are allowed. Teams may add non-functional decorations, provided that they do not affect Robot performance in any significant way or affect the outcome of the Match. These decorations must be in the spirit of the competition. Inspectors will have final say in what is considered “non-functional”. Unless otherwise specified below, non-functional decorations are governed by all standard Robot rules.

This rule states that you may put near anything on your robot as long as you can prove that is is not serving as a part of function on your robot. This would count for lexan. Although it is true that there is a limit to the amount of functional lexan you can use this would be serving as something different.

This is interesting as <R12> is in contention with <T1> - is the Inspector the final arbiter of what is non-functional? or is the Head Referee? Question has been posted on the Official Q&A.

Interesting question! However, as it may seem, these rules do not contradict. The ruling regarding this will be decided by the inspector, however, you may make an appeal to the head referee if you feel the decision was unfair or incorrect. As it is stated in , “The Head Referee has the ultimate authority during the competition.”

The issue I have with is “Inspector will have final say” - final and ultimate are both kind of the same in common language.

If this Q&A helps teams understand which is truly the decider, that would be a good thing. Last thing I want as an EP is for teams to dispute with the Head Referee needlessly about non-functional decorations… I can see this happen:
Team: “the Inspectors said it was ok”
Head Referee: “no it is not”
Team: “The Game Manual says that the Inspector has final say about what is or is not non-functional decoration”
EP: “Team is correct, that is what is written in the Game Manual”

and technically the Head Referee can NOT override what is in the Game Manual or by extension, the Q&A.

So, even though it might make sense to most of us, we absolutely need this Q&A to make it Official.

Yeah, I can see how this could be a gray area. It says “The Head Referee has the ultimate authority during the competition,” could it be that the inspections happen before the official competition begins and that is why the ruling is phrased in such a way?