NZ design help

Allrighty, then. I’ll try to keep this short and get to the question.

I’m building an NZ design and have the whole thing pretty much constructed, minus the plexiglass ramp. (I’m using a chain lift instead of a six bar) My question is this.

How far off of the ground (when the arm is fully down) can the ramp for the NZ design be and still pickup objects? I was wondering if anyone had trouble with this previously and could tell me what they’ve seen.

My robots is about 3/4" off the ground. We are able to run our fingers under it. You will have to experiment with different heights to accomidate your driving style. Our are up higher so that the stacks will flip back into our intake.

I see. Again, thanks for the help. I’ll see what height is best and use that.

Your team is going to worlds correct?

Indeed. we won the excellence award at a tournament in Iowa, and our school’s other team is in the top 30 for programming skills. We both did so with tank tread robots, but found the NZ designs to be much more efficient (we mostly liked the higher capacity).

So we began a last minute rebuild last week after U.S. Nationals. This is going to be fun.

I would like to see how your robot turns out at worlds. See you there.

On our chain linkage/side intake robot we measured off a solid ground and found the ramp was elevated between 207/414" and 3/4" (we used the white spacers and their measurement in order to get this figure). When we placed the robot on the field, however, the foam sinks the robot in a bit and the ramp is closer to the floor.

On our six bar/top intake the elevation was over 1". It sound crazy but it worked really well.

Indeed. 4405b has their ramp positioned about an inch and a quarter above the ground and it works quite well. I guess I’ll try to get it as close to 3/4 of an inch as I can. Thanks again.

How is the deployment of the intake usually achieved on NZ robots?
(I have an idea of how to release the intake with rubber bands, but I’m not sure how to get it to lock into place.)

Are you asking about locking into place in the deployed position or the undeployed position?

Locking in the deployed position.

Simply use a pair of rubber bands attached to the metal to make the intake go down (you should make sure that it has a lot of downward force). Then a standoff works plenty fine as a stopper.

I was thinking that but I thought it the rubber bands wouldn’t keep it completely rigid.

If you use the right amount, it will be effective enough.

1-3 on each side is enough to keep them down. Any more and you might have trouble keeping it up before the match.

Ok, thanks to both of you