Old battery chargers

Dose any one know what the lights mean on the old battery chargers (the 2 battery one)

we think:

solid is charging

Blinking is done

and no light is not charging

but we got mixed results and no one is completely sure so if anyone can verify this it would be great (i went to look at the product information only to find vex took it off the site)

thanks,
team 277 and 2625

Actually a solid light means that the battery is properly charging.
A blinking light means a charging error (battery is not charging) has occured.
No light means that charging is complete.

You might now be asking yourself what causes a charging error. Frequently, a blinking light is caused by someone not seating the batteries in the slot properly in order for the charger to recoginize if a 7.2 or a 9.6 volt battery was installed. If a 7.2v robot battery is not seated properly then the charger will believe that a 9.6v battery is being charged. The result will be overcharging (too high a voltage) and you could potentially damage the battery. Additional causes may be a damaged battery, damaged cabling or connector, etc.

Ditto to the post above.

One thing to remember is that the old chargers can only charge one battery at a time, so only one light will light at once, even if two drained batteries are plugged in. The reason for 2 slots is that once the first battery is charged, charging will automatically switch sides to the second battery. You can watch a long game without having to “babysit” the second battery at halftime (but who watches football, anyway?).

thanks for the info guys we had two initial theorys on what the lights meant and you confirmed Jason and my theory we appreciate the help and quick response (it turns out one person on our team has been charging batteries wrong for the past 3 years)

this question came up after a long talk about a very humiliating event that took place last year where a “charged” (red light flashing) was placed on the robot in the 3rd match of the finals a match we should have won and would have won if our robot moved before this event we didn’t pay much attention to the lights just measured the batteries above 8.3v was done to us

So, if one of the 7.2 volt NiCad charger lights is not lit, is that battery fully charged or waiting for its partner to finish charging?

This would be a really good time to point out that Cross Training and Testing is always a good thing for your Team…

The more people that know how everything works, is a benefit for all… And for those panic times, when one might forget a step or two, a Notebook with Step by Step instructions, or Reference Card(s) at each Station for ALL procedures needs to be created and referenced.

My recent Personal Failure Story…
I was on a College ROV Team at the 2010 MATE Competition, and I did not know how to completely setup ALL the Video Displays. This cost us not having a view of 2 of the 4 Cameras, and a lot of points…

If I had not been so panicked, I would have unplugged one of the working cameras and plugged in the one that we needed for the Task at Hand, then switched it back when the task was done…

We took 19th Place out of 27 Teams…

=====================================================

I guess as a Consolation, the following year and the same Competition, my “former team” took 3rd Place out of about the same number of Teams… I asked one of the Team Leaders for 2011, who was there both in 2010 and 2011 how they did that… He said, “We remembered what we did right last year, and fixed what we did wrong last year…”. I told him, I guess I did not feel so bad about getting 19th in 2010, since it got him and the Team 3rd in 2011.

that’s why i asked the question because id like every member of my team to know how basically to run the show by them selves in case we have a problem (my school switched the way we do vex from every team for themselves where we had 5 3 person teams that had no parts and most of the kids didnt really care as long as they got the trip in the end (one non working robot was the 3rd robot and won the competition on a free ride then didnt show up anymore until a few weeks before the world championship)) to a collective team with two divisions and two robots now we have a veteran team and a rookie team which the veteran team is teaching. the rookie team got some classroom like lessons before building and will get some more before there first competition. there building is primarily by themselves but if they get a question or hold up we help them out and we use our experience to enlighten them about what might or might not work and why. also with the abundance of parts we were able to make some thing great this year and took an undefeated victory at trinity yesterday.

Not to stray from the “red flashing LED means a battery problem” topic

But, pit lists are a great thing to have. Make one, post it and use it.

[LIST=1]
*]Replace battery in robot
*]Old battery in charger?
*]Time to replace battery in controller?
*]Check motor mount screws
*]Check drive train components
*]Check arm components
*]Check tension bands
*]… lots of other stuff
*]Cortex paired with controllers?
*]Controllers have VEXnet key?
*]Cortex has VEXNet key?
*]Battery pack(s) plugged in?
*]Cortex powers up?
*]Controllers power up?
*]Win!
[/LIST]

I agree!!!

I didn’t start this Thread, but the gist of it is, Training, Testing and Pit Lists!!!

Great list! Another habit – check it 5 minutes before EVERY match. We’ve had a great match, followed by a “dead robot” match, because everyone got sloppy after victory.