Passive flipout ideas

hello. I saw an idea for a two stage passive flipout at the recent chinese robotics tournaments, and i saw something simliar in 448x’s Ri3D. For tray robots, or complex tray robots, a passive flipout for your tray, or your roller intakes is needed, just like 1727g did . Does anyone have any ideas how to do this? preferably using a tray, but roller intakes also work.

thanks

1 Like

This is explained in 448X’s documentary:

Look at around 2:26
7 Likes

how does it fliip out passively?

Check around 2:25. There are rubber bands that are really stretched on the underside of the tray. It looks like if it is moved/vibrated/shaken a little bit, it will be enough to help the rubber bands pull the second stage of the tray over

2 Likes

I made a foldout tray that locked during summer camp. As a first year vex student by myself it definitely wasn’t as sophisticated, but I think it might be a useful resource for other beginner teams. It obviously needs some refinement but I’ll attach some images.

Uploading: F9B1EC04-EBDE-4CAB-8375-39C5D51E4B51.jpeg… Uploading: 2F6C2699-9EF0-4E70-AE4E-225547D40D38.jpeg… Uploading: 7B4C43C8-AFA2-44A0-A141-97F934B45CEF.jpeg…

Edit: Hold on, I will update with uploaded images.

Edit 2: images aren’t uploading properly, I’ll try from my computer in a few hours. Sorry guys.

1 Like

Please let the images upload before you post your reply, the images you posted are not visible

How did you see the tournament? Did you physically go or did you see them, I searched online for a live stream but couldn’t find one for some reason. Is there a way I can few them? And does twitch save its streams, because I haven’t seen any.

Most Vex competitions stream on YouTube. I think this may be one of the videos they were referring to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix3HPqQQjX4

1 Like

can you dm me the pictures?

@iskdyl ok, the images should upload now that I’m on my computer. Sorry for the issues before, the second time they did upload but still didn’t display. Here they are:
IMG_3061 IMG_3062 IMG_3063 IMG_3064

The tray starts up folded with the bottom part held in place by a bar. At the beginning of matches, a motor will push the tray up such that the bar is no longer in the way. The rubber bands pull the second stage up. When the locking bar (this is the long screw on stage 2) contacts the screw, the screw is pushed up (it is attached to a joint farther back) and the locking bar goes under. When the locking bar slides past the screw, the screw falls back down, pulled by the rubber band. The screw head locks against the locking bar and the tray stays there. It definitely isn’t a perfect locking mechanism: the thing doesn’t even achieve a 180 degree angle, but it is a good start, and I’ve found it to be good at doing the job.

5 Likes