Pending Q&A's

Regarding this Q&A about dropping stacks strategically to block your opponent as one example, @antichamber are you putting “pending:” at the front of your own thread titles? I’m guessing it wasn’t karthik because the answer to that question is likely gonna be very similar to Legal to Place Stacks and Goals in Opponent’s Way and because the other question you asked at the same time also has pending.

Just FYI for everyone, you shouldn’t do that because Karthik will add “pending” to some Q&As when he has already looked at them, but is holding off on a full response until some later date (usually a manual update). Putting pending in front of your own Q&As that you just asked is confusing and unnecessary because it makes it look like there was something about your question that needs further attention.

Agreed. Pending is a weird word, though. I said it in my head a few times and now it doesn’t sound like a real word. :slight_smile:

Umm I got this definition…
Pending
verb
make (someone) feel annoyed, frustrated, or worried, especially with trivial matters.
“the memory of the conversation still vexed him”
synonyms: annoy, irritate, anger, infuriate, exasperate, irk, gall, pique, put out, antagonize, nettle, get on someone’s nerves, ruffle someone’s feathers, rattle someone’s cage, make someone’s hackles rise, rub the wrong way; More
informalaggravate, peeve, miff, rile, needle, get (to), bug, get someone’s goat, get someone’s back up, get someone’s dander up, tee off, tick off, burn up, rankle
“Alice was vexed by his remarks”
archaic
cause distress to.
“thou shalt not vex a stranger”
;p

Yes I did, I thought you were supposed to :stuck_out_tongue:

So, I assume you know “Pending” isn’t a verb, and you’ve actually got the definition of “vex” here, right?

Oh, come on. This board is for engineers not English teachers. (This is a joke!)

@kypyro @Gear Geeks -ing is the present participle of the verb to pend. If we are categorizing words in basic forms such as adjectives, nouns, verbs, etc…, I would consider pending an action, therefore a verb.

Actually, “to pend” is an infinitive, not a verb.

. . . . An infinitive is the basic form of a verb, not a different part of speech.

Pending can actually be both a verb and an adjective. Used in this example: “The response has been pending for weeks now,” it is a verb. In the way @antichamber used it though, it is an adjective because it is describing the state of the thread.