pneumatics

[FONT=“Georgia”][/FONT] So guys I noticed at the world competition the people who used pneumatics only seemed to use 2 at most. Is there a rule that states this or is it just a preference? Because I imagine it would be convenient to have, say, 6 pneumatics, and only have to use 4-5 motors to be successful, and you could add the extra motors for function.:confused::confused::confused:

there is no maximum on the number of pneumatics used, only on the psi allowed (100psi) so this is more of a limitation due to the weight of the tanks. Use as many tanks as you want to carry around.

My team has never used pneumatics before. So im curious, How does the weight of a tank compare to… say a battery?

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

From product page: http://www.vexrobotics.com/products/accessories/power/276-1491.html

3000mAh 7.2v battery weight from wiki page: [
350g = 0.77 lbs.

The reservoir weights about 0.88 times as much as a battery does…
Of course, this doesn’t account for the piston weight…

Andrew

](https://vexforum.com/wiki//t/in-curcuit-debugging/12265/1)

Thank you! :slight_smile:

We use pneumatics in conjunction with the motors to get the most power out of the system. For Round-Up for example, we used pneumatics on our hanging mechanism to reduce the strain on the motors by about 25%.

If you have an application where pneumatics could be used, like a claw, then the motors that would be on the claw can be put somewhere else.
We used all 10 motors (4 393s) and 4 pistons, just because we needed the power boost and ran out of motors.
Pneumatics are heavy, though, so if you use 6 pistons on your intake to replace motors, expect to be carrying around 4 pounds of pneumatic tanks and all the other hardware.

Thanks for the info. :slight_smile:

Though for a stationary college team isolation zone robot. They would be perfect. Because we would want the back of the robot to be heavy. And we can use up to 20…:smiley: though that would be pretty insane. Anyway, thanks for the advice. Im looking forward to utilizing pneumatics in the future. :slight_smile:

if you need counterweight tanks can definately be a good route to go.

Thanks guys I’ll Make sure to remember that for the future! And they would probably make good counterweights for a robot that had to go 30’’ high…:eek:

Hmmm. While we are here, how strong is the spring in the single acting piston?

A low center of mass will be important, but don’t add extra tanks if you don’t need them for the air. There are better ways to get a low center of mass without using bulky expensive parts :slight_smile:

Look at 1103’s design for Round-Up for ideas on how to get a low center of mass while still maintaining functionality, especially because they had a huge lift that a lot of teams will probably have this year. They also used pneumatics, and the tanks are on the base of the robot (somewhere low, I forget exactly where).

If you watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAKR_UMiZd8 and pause at 1:47 you can see the tank embedded in the bottom of the drivetrain.

~Jordan

He had it near the rear, low to the ground. His batteries were also nearly in the center. We had two tanks as well that we kept near the center and as low as possible. Our robot never tipped. Having a large base helps too.