So i definitely need to redesign my robots drivetrain, not even a debate. So, for inspiration, could you post photos of your drivetrains so my robot can be more than mediocre?
here we are. works splendidly, never had any issues with it. sorry for the bad picture, its all I have now. Its a 6 motor, 6 wheel 1:1 High Speed drive with locked omnis. can easily park and can even give a v5 robot a run for its money on the platform.
@Xenon that looks cool! real question is, did you wash your hands?
thanks. we cut off 5 holes from the ends sticking out on the front btw, so we’re safely in sizing.
indeed… that sign’s our bumper right now.
I don’t think I have a picture atm but it is a 6 wheel mecanum drive 1:1 high speed with 4 in Omni wheels in the middle. (Note, Omni wheels are slightly bigger than mecanum so we powered the middle wheels with 1:1 sprockets while having the middle wheels slightly raised. It climbs great.
This setup was more than enough to climb the platforms, although adding chains would be slightly better.
Planned on center dropping mid wheel but it wasn’t worth the extra effort and weight
But keep in mind this was built in august and my vex season for this season is over
4 inch wheels with 6 motor turbo motors.
Here's a picture of our 6 motor v5 chassis. The middle wheels are locked, which I would highly recommend for any kind of robot because whether you're lining up to high score a cap or trying to aim your shooter, getting pushed sideways all the way across the field can be a bit of a setback. You probably already know this, but only one set of wheels should be locked because otherwise your robot will have some difficulty turning. The reason our wheels are not evenly distributed from the front end to the back end is to give us room for our intake. There isn't really a reason anyone should need an intake as wide as ours, but the massive intake is actually my favorite part of my robot because of how easy it is to use. One thing I would change about my chassis is that I would move my wheels inward a bit. We can easily climb the platforms when lined up correctly, but because of how wide our wheelbase is it is can be difficult to line up perfectly. Having the wheels just a bit closer to the center would make it much easier for us to park. If you are using v5, do be aware that a 6 motor chassis is far from necessary. The sweet spot seems to be 4 200rpm motors, which gives you plenty of speed and enough torque to push most other robots around, and it gives you 4 motors to allocate however you need to the other subsystems. If you have the motors to spare though, a 6 200rpm motor chassis is a joy to use since nobody has a hope of pushing you around. Whatever you end up creating, be sure to post a picture so we can see how it turned out. :)
We have a 6-wheel drivetrain with 4 V5 motors. It’s not in the picture, but we do use chain and sprockets to connect the otherwise idle front wheel. And the pic doesn’t have our superstructure on it because this was testing stage months ago.
We do use red torque V5’s but no manual gear ratios, and it’s still more than enough to push off other V5 robots from the center platform. One issue is how close we cut the distance between the wheels and c-channels, so we have to vice-grip the metal away once in a while so the wheel doesn’t get caught.
@P_Mania dang that’s OP. I like the wire management, too.
I’ll get a picture of our current drive later today. We locked our middle set too, and chained the (driven) back wheels to the middle. Also developed a pretty neat chain tensioner in the process. We built it in three days.
@Royal_Freedom What can I say? I like big intakes and I cannot lie. :D
In all seriousness though, thank you for the kind remarks. Honestly, this is the first time our robot’s wiring hasn’t been a complete jumble. It’s nice to see that someone noticed the extra effort. I’ll look forward to seeing what your chassis has to offer. It’s always interesting to see how different people go about constructing the same thing, even with something as simple as a chassis.
Our drivetrain is with 4 200rpm V5 motors. due to our intake and flywheel taking up space in the middle and front of the robot, we created a gearbox that sits in the back. The other wheels are powered by chains and 18t sprockets. The smaller 12t sprockets tension the chain and prevent slipping. as @P_Mania said, the locked Omni’s in the middle are a big help. Hope this helps!
IMG_0517.png (0 Bytes)
IMG_0518.png (0 Bytes)
IMG_0531.png (0 Bytes)
I just added 2 more wheels to my robots drivetrain. The front and back are omniwheels, and the middle ones are small high traction. The small ones in the middle do not touch the ground, they are just so that when we park our sprockets will not hit the platform. I don’t have any pictures on me but its not hard to imagine it.
I can’t view them in your initial post or this one.
welp, i tried.
This took too long to figure out, but the images should be viewable from here. Sorry for all of the clutter on this thread.
Images.zip (3.35 MB)
I like it. If I was to make the same type of tensioner, I probably would have supported the screw holding the spacers using axel locks connected to standoffs. The way you’re suspending it seems a bit clunky, but hey - if it works, it works. :)
Edit: I just threw together some parts to clarify. Here’s a picture of what I’m talking about: