Practice Drills?

My question is two fold. Do your teams run practice drills and what are they?

For example we practice strafing and picking up scoring objects on the fence (on the mat).

My teams do not do any formal “drills”, but they do practice both basic things like picking up stars and cubes and tossing them over the fence. They also try to practice different scenarios that they can think of that might arise in a match.

Personally, I am always practicing when my team and I aren’t working on the robot, and I can say from experience that practice makes perfect, or darn near it. Our mentor is also always telling our sister teams and outselves to practice, as thats one of the biggest parts to this years competition. I see some teams with really well designed and built robots, but they perform poorly on the field because they didnt practice enough cough cough parents built it cough cough but its true, you have to practice with this game. If I took the controls to another robot, I would do terribly, even if it was the best possible robot design. I would say to encourage teams to practice, because it helps you to win, and it doesnt make you look bad at a competition.

Always sad to see a team with a higher programming skills score than driver skills.

Our teams run drills by clearing a side of a field then moving to the other side.
Next we run scenarios like a big pile of stars by the center fence with cubes on top. The team has to practice peeling stars from the pile.
We also pit teams against each other in scrimmages.
What we would like to do more is hold a practice invitational with area teams to mix it up. We have done that once so far this year.

This is pretty similar to what we do. We also have looked into setting up scrimmages unfortunately they never ended up happening.

My favorite is the figure 8 around two objects as smoothly as possible. Start with them pretty far apart and try to move the joysticks in smooth gradients. You’ll find that combinations of powers result in different curves, and more importantly that you really only need a small percentage of the sticks most of the time. This is often the most overlooked factor in drive stalling issues and the reason some people can get away with ratios that others find problematic. Going from full power forward to full reverse on the sticks only a few times on certain drive configurations will trip the PTCs , whereas a smooth driver could go an entire match without issues. Being able to do this in forward and reverse will improve overall driving ability as well as reduce stalling frequency.

Early season, neither our driver nor our backup driver could make it to a competition. I ran skills, ending up with 13 points auto and 12 points driver.

It was painful. There’s a reason I’m not the driver. But somehow, we still won skills.