Prefered Drive Train/Chassis Structure For Your Bot?

What is your preferred method of chassis/drive train, (H drive, Holonomic, Mecanum, etc).

2 Likes

TANK!

16 Likes

Experimental Y drive

10 Likes

you have caught my attention please elaborate, this is a very interesting idea

I like to use the tank because of the traction and the turning but prefer mecanum because of the movement

1 Like

x-drive is awesome. Creating a well made x drive is one of the best learning experiences I have ever had in robotics. Using CAD to make things line up, creating custom parts to line things up. Figuring out how to program it without the use of the internet. Doing it yourself first rather than looking it up really allowed me to understand what is going on.

3 Likes

Tank is the superior drive. It works well for basically every game (so its universal). It also is a good mix of everything you need from a drive.

X-drive if built well

3 Likes

I love mecanum drive, but really it depends on the situation

FYI, mecanum is a holonomic drive as well as an h drive, a better list would be “H-drive, X-drive, kiwi drive, etc.” but that doesn’t matter

1 Like

ah thank you for letting me know that.

1 Like

It’s a concept i’ve thought of for a while.

Sort of like a tank drive but the front two wheels are at a 45 degree outward angle
It either snaps the robot in half, twists the front axles, or turns very fast in a drift-style motion
Testing required

3 Likes

dang, hope it goes well for your team

I really like the x-drive but I have never used one in competition due to my team not wanting to use one because of its flaws. Most years its just a tank drive with the occasional h-drive.

1 Like

I’m going to just make a poll so everyone can put what they prefer.

What Drive types do you like?
  • Tank Drive (2 motors)
  • Tank Drive (4 motors)
  • Tank Drive (6 motors)
  • Tank Drive (8 motors)
  • H Drive (3 motors)
  • H Drive (5 motors)
  • X Drive
  • Holonomic Drive
  • Kiwi Drive
  • Swerve Drive

0 voters

You can add U Drive (AKA Dragon Drive) to the list. My team used one last year (I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody though :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:).

2 Likes

We also had a Mecanum Drive at the start of this season.

1 Like

Ah, well for a brief moment I had 1% more voting power.

Also, I’ve tried tank drive before, but it just doesn’t feel right to me. It’s just easier for me to have each thumb control either the forward velocity or turning.

Yes, I know it’s just rounding up

1 Like

Tank. Drive can only lose you match by breaking, in most games it is not a scoring mechanism. It therefore best to spend little time on drive, and use that time to develop scoring mechanisms / tune those mechanisms / work on programming.

3 Likes

would disagree. Drive is critical due to the fact that some teams want to get around as fast as possible. our bot main advantage is that it wins every fight between goals.

that’s true, but the drive in and of itself does not score points, in most games. In my experience, teams with “worse” drives, and more developed scoring mechanisms are fully capable. Getting around fast only matters for the top end of teams who have strong scoring mechanisms.

I am thinking from the perspective of FRC where you have to get it right in that tight schedule, but I think that sort of restriction is present in teams who meet less, like 2 hours a week.

3 Likes