Preventing Pushing

yeah, but now your dealing with a 6 wheel drive, which can be annoying, and take up more space imo. you could even use a small omni in the center to minimize space taken up.

You could use a linear-slide break (look at Kepler Electronic’s World’s reveal for TP).

1 Like

Each side of the chassis is only 1 hole wider with a bling wheel.

Ok so locked omnis are not called “Bling wheels” and were invented long before the first ever reveal that called locked omnis “bling wheels.” Might seem like I am making a big deal about this, but I am simply annoyed by terms such as “danny lift,” “goliath intake,” or “bling wheels”

Now for the real point of this post. If you REALLY didn’t want to be pushed you would need to have angled ramps on the flat sides of your robot so that the pushing force is transferred up and pulls the pusher’s wheels up the ramp.

Now I do not see much defense happening this season unless it turns out that full stacks will be completed with plenty of time left in a match. In which case towers are the main area where defense will be played.

8 Likes

There are multiple matches where defensive play is seen. Here is one example: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KpAinfk-HDE

I do like the angled ramp idea. Are you referring to a wedge?

From a driving perspective, you could drive opposite of the push and go around, rather than make build changes. As for side pushing, traction wheels would probably work well.

Hey! That was my idea I gave you! (But it was a good idea…)

I personally am a fan of locked omnis (“Bling Drive” is just too non-descriptive of a name compared to “locked omnis,” which I still have to explain sometimes), even without a 6 wheel drive.
It does throw off your center of rotation quite a bit, but I try to position my wheels to use that to my advantage. Just takes some driving practice to get used to.

2 Likes

It was!? lol I honestly don’t remember, I discovered it by mistake when I was building my chassis, but it sounds like something you’d say and I’d forget.

1 Like

Is it easy to be pushed with an x-drive? Haven’t had the chance to build and test yet.

I haven’t built one competitively to test, but I think you could out-maneuver defense with an X drive better than directly fight it.

You’d be easier to push than a locked Omni drive, but harder than an H-drive. You can also fight pushing with all 4 motors if need be.

Tbh i dont really mind using bling wheels, since they are somewhat descriptive of the appearance of the wheel, so i wouldn’t consider it a senseless name like Danny lift or goliath intake.

if you told a team who knew nothing about terminology that you have a bling drive they’d just be confused, but if you told them you were using locked omnis, they could infer that you have omni wheels that are locked.

4 Likes

True that, but then again, they wouldn’t even know what omnis where much less locked omnis.
Locked omnis is preferred over bling wheels since they are even more descriptive, but in my opinion, bling wheels is fine too, just use them around more experienced teams.
Plus it sounds cool :slightly_smiling_face:

Why not just have a traction wheel in the center of your robot rather than a sideways omniwheel? It would probably resist pushing better. Also for the wheel to significantly resist pushing, you would probably need to drop it a little below the rest of your drive, and that might negatively impact drive performance. Not to mention any robot with a wedge would lift that wheel off the ground, whereas with center-traction drive you’d still have a traction wheel on the ground to resist pushing.

They would still have pretty much the same effect. Ad a matter of fact, the omni would work better because the rollers make the wheel slightly larger than just 4 inches.
A traction wheel would work however. It would just be slightly harder to build (by a microscopic amount since it it spins unlike the omni)

If you’re using 4" omni wheels on your drive and you put a 4" omni wheel in the center, it won’t push into the mat any more than your other wheels. I certainly wouldn’t recommend a normal 4" traction, but you could easily use the rubber band-ziptie wheels that some teams used last year.

1 Like

what some teams did last year is they had plastic plates on hinges on the sides of their robot that made like a ramp so that robots pushing would have a harder time actually pushing and not just riding up on the ramp.

About 15 posts up I mentioned this as well

A sideways traction wheel wouldn’t have the rollers that omnis have, thus impending movement.
Plus, tests (I can’t remember the source) have shown that (with a heavier robot) omnis have more traction due to compressing rubber than the traditional traction wheels.

2.75" omni wheels have the grippiest rubber, followed by 4" omnis, then by 3.25" traction wheels (the square ones, not the round ones), and then I’m not sure. 3.25" omnis have a very slippery surface compared to 4" omnis.