Problems Updating Firmware on a Vex Cortex Microcontroller with RobotC 4.X

I just downloaded RobotC 4.X for the first time (my club and I have always used RobotC for VEX Cortex and PIC, until now), and I am stilling learning how to use it to program my VEX Cortex Microcontroller.

Upon trying to download a program , I was told that I needed to update the firmware on my Microcontroller.

**(Note that I had previously clicked Robot>Platform Type>VEX 2.0 Cortex)
**So I clicked **Robot>Download Firmware>Automatically Update VEX Cortex. **
**On the first run of this, the program seemed to be downloading, but then an error message popped up saying that the download had failed.
**And from this point on, every time I try to download anything (a program or firmware) onto the Microcontroller, I always get this error message: "No communications link available to VEX device. Check that your device is connected to the PC."

The Microcontroller I used was one which I had no problems with before, and one which ran a recently added program from RobotC for VEX Cortex and PIC without issue. After going through a troubleshooting process (see the list below) I decided to try using a different Microcontroller, but the same problem happened. Please note that I have done all of the following, but the problem still occurs:

**Unplug and Re-plug the A to A cable from both the laptop and Microcontroller ports
**Replace the A to A cable
**Use different USB ports on my laptop
**Replace the battery connected to the Microcontroller
**Turn on and off Microcontroller

When the Microcontroller is plugged into my laptop (and powered on), my USB Input Device (under Device Manager>System in Windows 8.) shows the following error under Properties: “This device cannot start. (Code 10)”

I have programmed many times before with this laptop and cable, and I have strong reason to believe they are not the cause of these issues.

If the Microcontroller is powered on with a battery, or plugged into my laptop via the A to A cable (on or off) the “Robot” LED flashes green. All lights are otherwise off.

What do I need to do to these Microcontrollers so that I can use them again? And if I need to send them into VEX, what should I do with my other microcontrollers so that I can upload code from RobotC 4.X?

Thank you in advance for your help. -Zoie

Hello Zoie,

Thanks for the detailed description of the problem.
Per our phone conversation today, please install the VEXnet Upgrade Utility along with the 64-bit driver. Once installed upgrade the firmware in your system.

This will enable the communication between your VEXnet System & the PC.
Regards.

-Eli