Programming turbo motors

My team uses robotc to program for the VEX competition, and when you go to motor& sensors setup they give you choices of the types of motor. My team recently used turbo gears on a 393 motor, so when selecting these motors would it be a “fast motor” or just a “motor”?

I’ve never been completely sure what the selections are for, it has no effect on the motor’s actual performance and I believe it’s only for adjusting the IME readings. So unless you have IMEs it doesn’t matter what you select.

This is correct. It is only for IME readings. So unless you have them, don’t worry about what you choose.

However, the OP said there is only “motor” or “fast motor” options. There should be a “turbo motor” option. If you do not have that option you may be using a very old version of robotc.

Specifically the option is only used for the when ROBOTC tries to calculate the rpm of a motor based on the IME. The nMotorEncoder function gives the raw value but forward(5,rotations, 128) requires the correct motor setting to go the correct distance. Or the getMotorVelocity function that returns RPM would need to correct motor setting in the motor and sensor setup.

So my robotC is at version 3.65, and when i update it it says update to 3.65
My motors do not have an option for turbo in the settings and when we used turbo motors on put robot it goes slower than the same motors that had hi-speed gears before. Any additional help?

So ROBOTC 3.xx does not support the option for turbo gears. That version is almost 2 years old and turbo gears are relatively new.

It doesn’t effect your program if you use SensorValue or nMotorEncoder so I do not think it should be an issue. You could also try out ROBOTC 4.xx using free trial if you want.

So when programming for teleop, would i just keep it as motor[port3]=vexRT[Ch2];
Just as an example?

Yup.

Then with turbo gears your motors do not have enough torque to move the robot, it sounds like you were better off without them.

Totally agree with jpearman.
A lot of students always assume that there is always enough torque to go around and the higher the gear ratio, the faster the robot will move.
But it is vital to take note of the torque as well.

There are times when a lower gear ratio will allow the robot to move even faster (in the event that the higher gear ratio does not or barely have enough torque to move the robot).