Project GLaDOS

LOL

That would slow us down for about 5 seconds in each direction on our way over it :slight_smile: the 2158(W?) wallbot was pretty effective and downright brilliant when we competed in Austin in February, but 4000X had taken this strategy into account and went over the top of it inside of 8-10 seconds. Most wallbots are effective at the begining of the seasoon, but sooner or later other teams adapt and overcome.

Very interesting idea. It is not difficult to defense this one.

Team 2158W was not very successful in Austin Competition

I always applaud anyone who can build a 8-12 foot long robot, but so far I haven’t seen a wall bot sturdy enough to withstand ‘vigorous interaction’ from some bots. Feel free to prove me wrong, that’s probably the fastest wall bot expansion I’ve seen all season.

Good Luck:D

Our wheels are all the way front and rear, sticking out about 1/2" beyond the frame and our lift is capable of rotating enough to lift either the front or back wheels about 5" off the ground (done to right ourselves). We would lower the lift down on the wallbots C channel to raise the front wheels while the rear wheels pushed it forward. Then the lift would rotate backwards to push our bot the rest of the way over.

While some of the design elements of our robot for worlds came from seeing some highly effective scoring/descoring designs, other elements were born from studying the strategies of others that our robot would have to overcome.

Worlds should be VERY INTERESTING, while we plan on pulling out a whole new bag of tricks we also expect to come up against some stuff we never imagined. Our jaws dropped when we came up against 2158W in San Antonio and it worked perfectly, and we expect our jaws will drop many more times at world. That being said, we won’t be fooled twice by the same strategy and I expect many others won’t either.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure your 12 speed overdrive transmission with it’s 10,000:1 low gear will clear this one out of the way! That is one impressive robot, and Max does an awesome job operating it. I can’t wait to see the look on the face of whoever gets into a shoving match with you…

Thanks! Honestly I’ve really been waiting to get into a real shoving match with somebody, hopefully the middle school division will have some wallbots too!:smiley:

That looks VERY shoveable. And illegal, as you can’t wrap around the troughs.

Or am I wrong?

No I saw this first hand it is not pushable and not illegal I helped design a portion of it… you also would not be able to drive over it how you might think… as it is missing 1 very important part I know about :smiley:

Nice rubber bands

But our robot can do cartwheels… :smiley: O.K. maybe not, but our first robot did an impressive back flip :eek:

That should keep things interesting! I look forward to seeing it in action, there’s a lot of ingenious strategies coming out of the woodwork.

It seems illegal to me. Those mounts for the wheels will be on each side of trough poles and use them as an anchor, which is listed as illegal in <SG9>. You can’t do that.

And it also doesn’t qualify under <R1> as a robot. By definition, your robot must be able to traverse “the majority of the flat playing field surface,” and must have “motors for the mobile robotic base.” It’s not something that most people think about, honestly, but with this design it’s a real problem.

Finally, states that you can’t use any mechanism that could possibly damage other robots. Expanding that massive thing via tension is extremely dangerous, and with as fast as it gets across you could easily end up either pinning a robot to the wall (no big deal, just a DQ) or punching a hole through it.

Put it on a field and run it, and I’ll believe it might not be illegal once I see that it doesn’t use any part of the field as a support. Until then, I’m going with illegal.

Of course, I have no authority. Just pointing out problems with the design.

The only illegal thing is latching… which does not occur on this robot those supports do not go around the supports they rest on them… there is nothing preventing you from pulling this robot forward besides the 50lb base… thus it is not illegal… and if you went up against this you would probably not want to run your autonomous because it would ruin your chassis if you got hit by it…

<R1> states
“Subsystem 1: Mobile robotic base including wheels, tracks, legs, or any other mechanism that allows the robot to navigate the majority of the flat playing field surface.”
It does not mention you need motors to power your base.

The fact that this robot would “ruin your chassis” is EXACTLY the reason it is illegal. You just said it yourself.

Plus the whole <R1> immobile thing.
“Subsystem 2: Power and control system that includes a VEX legal battery, a VEX control system, and associated motors for the mobile robotic base.”

Which, believe it or not, actually does apply to every robot entered in the VEX competition, not just the offensive ones.

And if you read a bit further:

Subsystem 2:

Power and control system that includes a VEX legal battery, a VEX control system, and associated motors for the mobile robotic base.

Sounds like you need motors to me.

Not picking sides just yet… but I agree, the rule only says they have to be there, not that you have to use them :stuck_out_tongue:

Interpretation is something that is up to exactly that. Interpretation. As far as my reading of the rules goes (which is one of the primary things I do on the team), this robot is not legal as far as can be seen from the video provided to us.

I know. We built one, and saw a couple. This one isn’t.

If you want to get REALLY pedantic here, we can start defining words in order to pull the exact meaning out of the rules.

"Subsystem 1:
Mobile robotic base including wheels, tracks, legs, or any other mechanism that allows the robot to navigate the majority of the flat playing field surface. "

There are two possible definitions for mobile that could apply here. Let’s list them, shall we?

1: capable of moving or being moved : movable
2: changeable in appearance, mood, or purpose

This robot does NOT qualify under the first definition of mobile (the common sense definition). The second definition, you could argue, does allow this robot to qualify as officially mobile. However, rule <G1> says that “common sense always applies in the VEX Robotics Competition,” implying that my explanation of the definition of “mobile” is correct.

Now, let’s define the “majority off the field”. Again, this isn’t hard. Merriam-Webster says that is:

1: the quality or state of being greater

This means that any robot must be capable of crossing or at least passing over more than 50% of the field area. The field has 20,736 square inches of area. This means your robot must be able to at least reach 10,3679 square inches of the field area. This robot can’t reach the entire left side of its own side of the field, or the far half of the opposing side of the field. Which is more than 50%. Meaning the design doesn’t reach greater than 50% of the field.

Subsystem 2:
Power and control system that includes a VEX legal battery, a VEX control system, and associated motors for the mobile robotic base.

Again, I’ve got to say you need a definition of mobile to be sure on this one. But I stand by what I said. This doesn’t qualify. You need motors on the base that allow it to be mobile. That’s what the rule says. This robot doesn’t seem to have them. Therefore, not legal.

And I’m not even getting started on the whole damaging robots problem. That amount of tension is insane. If someone will give me an actual number, I guess I could comment with a bit more weight than “it looks dangerous.”

I can’t be bothered to find the specific thread :p, but karthik ruled that HOG is legal, and hog doesnt have wheels.

EDIT: a few more things:
+1 to TVex
English is a finnicky language, I wouldn’t give much credit to a definition as there is probably a couple hundred more (that was a joke by the way)

How do you know this is the robot? this is only part of it… the rest has wheels and drives around :smiley: and I would be very scared of going up against in a match