Pros upload error

ERROR - pros.cli.upload:upload - could not open port ‘COM8’. Try closing any other VEX IDEs such as ROBOTC, VCS, or firmware utilities; moving to a different USB port; or restarting the device.
File “C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.6.4\x64\lib\site-packages\serial\serialutil.py”, line 240, in init
File “C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.6.4\x64\lib\site-packages\serial\serialwin32.py”, line 62, in open
pros.serial.ports.exceptions.ConnectionRefusedException: could not open port ‘COM8’. Try closing any other VEX IDEs such as ROBOTC, VCS, or firmware utilities; moving to a different USB port; or restarting the device.
ERROR - main:main - name ‘exit’ is not defined
File “C:\hostedtoolcache\windows\Python\3.6.4\x64\lib\site-packages\click\core.py”, line 535, in invoke
File “D:\a\1\s\pros\cli\upload.py”, line 115, in upload
NameError: name ‘exit’ is not defined

Recently I’ve downloaded pros and I’ve tried to upload projects to our brain. But it always results in this error. Does anyone know how I can solve this? Thanks.

1 Like

and when I build my projects, it always errors out but it doesn’t say what the error is

Have you tried these suggestions?

1 Like

yes, but it still didn’t work :frowning:… though thanks for the quick response!

Upon immediate inspection of the error message it would seem that PROS is having some trouble accessing your serial port. How do you have your brain connected to your computer? Can you verify that there is a serial connection available and that it is on COM8?

If you are using the atom editor with PROS, you might want to try moving to the CLI and using the command prosv5 lsusb to see what serial communications you have available.

Note: These fixes attempt to solve your first error listed, the “could not open port” error. The “name exit is not defined error” seems to suggest a problem with your install because of references to the python files installed with the CLI.

3 Likes

I also get this message when I try to build my code. Do any of you know what this means?

This might mean you have a missing semicolon or missing brackets/parenthesis somewhere. I can take a look if you share your code.

Is that the full error message? Another possible problem is a space in your path.

1 Like

it’s fine, I’ve found out what the problem was… i had spaces in the file name