PTC tripping

Hi,

When our team has a competition and we work our robot, the robot always stops functioning and when we wait for a few seconds, it operates again. I searched the web and I guess its called PTC tripping but are there any ways to minimize or stop this from happening?

Thanks,

It usually depends on how much strain you put on your motors - like how heavy is your robot, how many motors are you using, etc. If your drive is burning, for instance, you could try increasing the number of motors on it to 4 or even 6. You could also try to lighten you robot to reduce strain.

Thank you, So it is all about the stress the motor is receiving?

How many motors are you using on your drive and what ports are they plugged into? There are 2 PTCs on the Cortex, one for ports 1-5 and another for ports 6-10. If you’ve got a power expander, that’s one more. Split the motors between them. That way you’re not running as much current through any one while getting the same delivery to the motors.

After doing this, you might try limiting the power you assign to your motors. There’s a lot of evidence on the forums that the motors perform almost identically when given 90 power as appose to 127. The main difference is the amount of voltage run through the motors. At 127 power, a lot of that extra power goes straight to warming up the PTC.

What my team has done is we’ve just put a simple limit on our joystick that says “If the power about to be assigned to the motors is greater than 90, set it to 90”. We’ve run tests on our base (speed test) and on our mobile goal lift (torque test) and we’ve found that there is no difference in performance when the motors are given 90 power instead of 127. We no longer stall :slight_smile:

Edit: For more context, we’re running a 4 highspeed motor base and a 1 motor 1:5 mobile goal lift.

Than you @Jacob Walter. That was very surprising and I will do that for my program. I hope we can finish our robot properly for Worlds…

There is a PTC in each motor, and then the three listed by @callen
Just be mindful of all of them in wiring and programming.