Pump up pneumatics during match?

A student in my club asked an interesting question that I don’t know the answer to. His questions is this: Is it possible to use a motor to drive a piston to pump up the pneumatics during matches?
I question if it’s legal because there would be no way to regulate the 100psi maximum in the tank. It seems like a great idea, using the energy in the battery to pump the pneumatics during the match.
I searched in the forums to see if I could find this answer but was unable to find a thread on this topic.

Thanks!

Updated the tag to VRC.

2 Likes

Read the red box under <R17>

Red Box Text

The intent of <R17a> and <R17b> is to limit Robots to the air pressure stored in two reservoir tanks, as well as the normal working air pressure contained in their pneumatic cylinders and tubing on the Robot. Teams may not use other elements for the purposes of storing or generating air pressure. Using cylinders or additional pneumatic tubing solely for additional storage is in Violation of the spirit of this rule.

The intent of <R17c> is to ensure that pneumatics are being used safely. Pressurized systems, such as a Robot’s pneumatic sub-system, have the potential to be dangerous if used incorrectly. This rule ensures the safety of participants, and prevents potentially unsafe uses in the future.

Another way of thinking of <R17c> is that pneumatics should only be used with pneumatics. Teams should not use compressed air as a means of actuating non-pneumatic devices such as screws, nuts, etc. For example, pulling a pin with a pneumatic cylinder is okay, but using air to actuate the pin itself is not.

9 Likes

R17 states that The intent of <R17a> and <R17b> is to limit Robots to the air pressure stored in two reservoir tanks, as well as the normal working air pressure contained in their pneumatic cylinders and tubing on the Robot. Teams may not use other elements for the purposes of storing or generating air pressure. Using cylinders or additional pneumatic tubing solely for additional storage is in Violation of the spirit of this rule.

1 Like

Disregarding the rule violation, you would need valves to make a cylinder into an air compressor. If you solve that, then you’ve got the issue of heat generation due to air compression… accumulating in the end of a cylinder NOT made for dissipating heat. At most, this is a thought experiment…

Note that this is not just the legal limit, but also the physical limit of the valves. Overpressurization will result in damage to solenoids. This, like turbodog said, would be at most a thought experiment.

2 Likes