Puncher vs catapult ttv

Clearly a counterweighted trebuchet is the way to go.

7 Likes

This… People may be seeing this from a different perspective.
Imagine having a small sidearm one motor catapult that would shoot a cube in such an arc where the cube would land into any tower with various heights. This will allow drive-by 1-2 second tower scoring without even having to touch a lift motor, but by simply driving over and shooting the cube into the tower. If someone can make this possible, I will give you major props!

6 Likes

honestly its not entirely impossible. If I had to go about launching cubes into towers, i would probably go with a catapult with a really tall arc. I would have some sort of aligner line me up with a tower, then shoot almost straight up, with a tiny bit of arc. you could probably get it to land in the tower almost every time, maybe… doesn’t seem like a good idea to me, but it isn’t impossible.

6 Likes

I feel like if someone does that the cube will just bounce back out

What about a passive preload catapult specifically for auton only so time would not be needed to be wasted while your robot is making a stack to score in the barriers? (Similar to Starstruck year :wink: )

1 Like

the biggest issue I see with this idea is that it wouldn’t be too easy to cram a cube catapult in on a robot without compromising its offensive ability. its a bit of a waste of space tbh, when you could just take a few extra seconds to lift. especially when its only a one time use. now, if you made one that can effectively launch into towers whenever you wanted to, you may just have something that could work. it would certainly be innovative.

5 Likes

ok ok hear me out:
put a catapult at the bottom of a tray, you can intake one cube, then tilt way back, and launch it upwards.

but seriously, I would love to see a robot attempt a cube launcher.

3 Likes

you could SLINGSHOT the Cubes! Have something pushing the cubes back into rubber bands and then release at an nice arc.

1 Like

lol
but seriously, I would highly not recommend this. it only saves a few seconds, and is so much harder than a lift.

1 Like

Build a slapper for the cube

1 Like

It’ll “wack” those cubes right?
I’m sorry ok

3 Likes

I’m telling you a flywheel will really Yeet those things

Ahem, my idea originally :wink:

2 Likes

The main problem I see is the tensioning would have to be absolutely perfect, all the time. Sounds like a use for some cough adjustable tension tethers, Instead of rubber bands. This would have to be decently powerful and be able to support that power. And as we know from last year, large catapults like the double catapult (I built one so I know,) can sometimes throw off auton because of the recoil. It would be a challenge but I would love to see someone try it. I am tempted to try it myself.

3 Likes

you mean zipties right? :smile:

2 Likes

I think puncher punching straight up. Less spinning the cube around and more reliable dropping into the towers like others have suggested for a catapult.

1 Like

Nope, like bungee cables

I see what you mean, though.:joy:

1 Like

The cube would get some good air time, but you would have to make sure that when the cube lands in the tower it is not oriented in such a weird way that it does not bounce out.

according to SG3, you are not allowed to throw or launch cubes at anything. You have to “keep them to yourself”.

2 Likes

Neh, the main problem would be aiming the darn thing. Especially when getting rammed by the opponent. Unlike tp, you dont get a straight line shot, you’d have to mortar lob it, which would be really hard without an aimer.

2 Likes