Puncher

Hello guys,
I am currently building a linear puncher.
For our slip/sector gear how many teeth should be shaved and how many should be left intact.
Also should there be 1 slip, 2 slips, 3 slips, ect…
Also how much pullback will be best.
If it helps I am using 2 motors with a 60 tooth slip/sector gear.
Thanks
David

Check out this thread.

Different teams have had success with different amounts of slips. For higher fire rates and a more compact shooter (less pull distance), you want less slips. However, it’s a balancing act because less slips means the motors have to work harder for the non slipped portion of the gear rotation. My slip gear shooter has 18 teeth shaved off and achieves an excellent full field fire rate with 2 motors.

okay and do you use 36 tooth gears?
and how did you build a stop because I am having trouble with that.
Thanks
also any pics would be helpful

Yep 36 tooth.

Here’s a pic of my setup. You can’t see it here but I use a rubber link mounted within the slide rail as an impact dampener. It prevents the slide rail from bending forward when the puncher stops.

i don’t see how you are useing the rubber links as a stop

You can’t see it in the picture but the slide trucks compress a rubber link mounted within the slide rail. I cut one screw end of the rubber link off.

I never understood how people mounted the slides underneath the racks. Did you guys modify the racks in any way?

The screws are screwed in from underneath the slide trucks directly into the trucks. I used a tap to thread my racks to 8-32. 6-32 screws make it difficult to align the slide trucks for a low friction, straight fit.

Thanks and good luck

The larger the surface area you have to crash into (and it actually crashes into it) will minimize the point loads and make these stops last longer. Otherwise you are hammering into a very small point load.

How will one go about making a long lasting stopper? I made one out of two by locks. One stationary and the other one on the slip area. I wrapped some rubber bands around the stationary one and it sees to have helped a little bit it began to rip the rubber bands due to the force.

we did not use string instead we attached small plastic spacers on the bottom before the slider and they hit a small black spacer up ahead absorbing the impact. This allows the slider not to get damaged. In the past when we didn’t have the spacers we used the sliders which broke from the impact.

We use a standoff inside of the slider.

Bunches and bunches of steel.

Make a wall to crash into and make it sturdy. Some 2 wide c-channels in a box formation can work with having the flat side out so the crash wall is a big surface. We are trying to reduce point loads. Use some other c-channels across the puncher and maximize the surface area with some other c-channels for it to crash into the wall. Just make sure the wall and the crash bumper are securely fastened.

You can use the green flex pieces or mat to help absorb shock too.

Make sure the crash wall is after the ball.

Does anyone know how to program a linear puncher? I understand how to program a flywheel , but with a puncher I have no clue where to start.

I find that an if statement does the trick if using a slip gear or drop off cams.

while(1)
{
if(vexRT[Btn6U])
 motor[puncher] = 127;
else
 motor[puncher] = 0;
}

you can just be if(vexRT[Bun6U] == 1){
motor[puncherMotor] = 127;
}

Thanks, so in terms of programming the linear puncher its the same as programming a button, but is there anything you need to add since there is a slip gear?

no it is just if a button is pressed move this motor. use proper syntax of course