Question about worm gear

Hi,
I have a question about worm gear. Do these gears only work with the worm wheel or I can make the 12 tooth gear work with worm gear?

Thanks

The teeth on the worm wheel are angled, so I would say no unless you angle the 12 tooth gear.

Thanks @sazrocks
So how do you fix an arm to the worm wheel because it seems it is pretty small and there are no holes in the wheel to fix the arms.

I would attach it to the axle that the worm wheel is on. Just be careful not to apply too much torque; the worm gear is plastic.

One of the reasons I am looking at using worm gear is to prevent my robotic arm from driving the motor backward as I lift my robot up.

Which means there will be some torque, but I suppose it it a high strength component, isn’t it?

The worm gear gives you a lot of mechanical advantage, however it will be VERY slow.

@536Mentor i believe the gear ration is something like 1:25, but i could be wrong.

The gearing depends on the driven gear. The worm gear will do one full revolution per tooth of the drivin gear, so a 12 tooth gear would be 1:12, and i think that the special slanted gear is 24 tooth, but it MIGHT be 25. They tend to do multiples of 12, though. We always call them by their ratio. a 12 tooth is a “One”, 36 tooth is “Three”, 60 tooth is “Five” and 72 tooth is “Seven”. I believe the gear that comes special made for the worm gear is a “Two”.

@Robo_Eng_13 i understand, i was saying if you had the worm as drive, as the op suggests, then using a worm gear its a 1:25, that its either 1/25 of the speed, or 25x the torque of a normal motor, when used with a worm gear

Extra note when using worm gears. You should try to put washers between the worm gear and the end supports. When there is a load and it tries to back drive the gear, it will push the worm gear linearly more than it will try to rotate it, which can jam it against its supports and cause extra friction.

Thanks everyone.
I am perfectly fine with the speed reduction.
Infact, I want slower speed, so thats good for me.

Looks like this solution might work for me :slight_smile:

The worm gear will work fine and wont break, just make sure to align it well and grease it for best performance.

The 24 (or maybe 25) tooth gear with the slanted teeth works best, but if you need other rations, other gears CAN be made to work. Just be careful with construction.

Thanks. I have ordered the advanced gear set.
Looking forward to get it ASAP so that I can test my hypothesis :slight_smile:

One additional question.
The worm gear will reduce the speed of the worm wheel, does it mean the torque is increased and I will be able to lift more heavy stuff?

@ssdesign oh yes, like alot.

Would it be a good idea to speed up a worm gear 5:1 in order to achieve a 1:5 torque gear ratio for an arm, or is there more friction between a worm gear and 24 tooth than regular gears?

At a guess i would say there is more friction in a worm gear due to the fact that there is more contact surface area. All else being equal, it would be better to reduce by 1:5 with regular gears in a single step, but there are various times when you might want to use an extended setup like what you described.

I think there is a gear that was released a while back that had angled teeth.

Now that I think about it, I think I just saw a video of a CAD design that was submitted for competition and it had the concept of angled-teeth gears. These kinds of gears may be released later. Cross your fingers.