Random questions i have

There is no legal limit to how many cubes you can hold, but the max would depend on how tall the venue is. I doubt anyone will stack that high, but you never know.

3 Likes

nope, its just like the good ole days.

1 Like

i have gotten decorations that were definitely nonfunctional literally ripped off my robot, so the safest choice would be to ask someone who is a judge, coach, etc. (someone who is very familiar with the rules). also, just like calvc01 mentioned,while the led plate should be fine concerning decorations, vex might require you to use their official licenses, rather than one you’ve created. better safe than sorry. best of luck to you!

1 Like

(If you are adding LED’s on your license plates, you must assume it to be treated just like painting it)
You may not change the front of the License plate’s color but you can paint the back and edges of the license plate. You must expose the front surface’s color for the referees to be able to visibly see the team number and color. In addition, if you are covering a license plate with LED’s then it probably isn’t legal considering the referees will not be able to see your team number.
Now in terms of autonomous, it is legal to run your skills using the controller’s internal skills system. you don’t even need to code it into the robot, as it’s already implemented in the hardware.

If you are making a license plate color changing then it would not be legal. According to the rules, you must not change the color of the VEX License plates, even if it’s a different shade or hue. If you are “changing the color of the license plate depending on the light” you must be assuming that you will not be changing the blue license plate with a red license plate between matches, which is not legal. The rules also state that the license plate must be visible to the referees so they can see your team color so if you are making lights around a license plate it will be very hard to see the number.

2 Likes

As stated, you would need official plates on as well then the custom plates are merely non-functional decorations.

2 Likes

honestly, it’s just easier to use the standard vex plates, it’s not as much stress over whether the rules apply and you already have them ready, just figure out a system to switch the plates, which is not hard at all.

2 Likes

I have some pretty good knowledge about LED lights and what is and isn’t legal (From personal experience, as I almost was prevented from competing because during middle school I had a battery powered LED strip). I will say so myself that it is definitely a waste of time and energy to attempt to add something of little importance to the robot for license plates.

2 Likes

Very true and goes for all LEDs added to robots.

1 Like

Question to ask is whether or not your autonomous is better than your drivers. No sense in running a portion of your auton if it’s slower, more prone to problems, etc. than a human. How will your autonomous handle being defended or pushed?

This same question was also asked in the IQ section. In last season’s game, a lot of teams had presets, some of which would automatically move the lift to a specific position to line up with the hanging bar to hang the robot. Running autonomous routines for that preset made sense because the encoders were alway accurate and much faster and more reliable than human control.

2 Likes

This is for skills so there is no need to worry about defending or being pushed around.

1 Like

Thanks, forgot about skills. :slight_smile: Yeah, then it just comes down to whether or not your autonomous is faster and more consistent than your drivers.

1 Like