Red Alliance Robot Scoring Blue Balls

Is a robot on the red alliance allowed to score blue balls, or vice versa?

Can you pull up the game manual and see if there is anything specifically in the rules that prohibits it? If there isn’t, then there’s your answer.

9 Likes

I didn’t find any rule that prohibits it but I didn’t see anything that said it was allowed so I wanted to double-check that there wasn’t anything I missed in the game manual.

3 Likes

It is allowed, but why would you

3 Likes

S T R E N G T H O F S C H E D U L E P O I N T S

Timothy, typically if it isn’t stated in the game manual, the usual mentality that works 97% of the time is that it’s fair game. Of course, the common sense rule applies, but I don’t know how you would justify against scoring for your opponent when the rules say you can possess three of your opponent’s balls.

I don’t mean to be snarky on the game manual. I’m sorry about that earlier.

7 Likes

Depends on the part of the match you are in - so split the question into two part - what is allowed during autonomous period and what is permitted during driver control.

As others have said - read the game manual to determine the criteria for scoring/winning a match, and constraints for doing so during a match.

2 Likes

It could be a strategy to place a blue ball in the middle or the bottom so that you can get the row bonus.

2 Likes

If you attempted to score solely your balls, you wouldn’t be able to fill more than 5 goals. The most efficient use would be to use the opponents balls as a foundation to allow you to score the row bonuses.

2 Likes

That is not how rows are scored,

Connected Row – A Row where all three (3) Goals in the Row are Owned by the same Alliance.

Owned - A Goal status. A Goal is considered Owned by an Alliance if its colored Ball is the vertically highest Scored Ball in that Goal.

8 Likes

Huh, must have misunderstood that when I first read it, my bad.

Then, like someone said before, it’s good for Strength of Schedule, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world if you didn’t score opponent’s balls.

I would still score some of the opponents balls so that they’ll have to descore while scoring, which will hopefully slow them down

3 Likes

I wouldn’t think it would matter too much, especially depending on if they have a design that allows for balls to be ejected out the back of the robot.