Remote keeps disconnecting from brain during driving

While the kids are practicing their driving, the remote and the brain keep disconnecting from each other an the robot stops driving. The battery are remote are charged. We are not sure why this is happening or what to do to try to fix it? Any suggestions?

I am not sure, but have you tried to update the brain firmware if it is not already updated.

1 Like

I’ve had a brain do that before. Never found a way to fix it. Could be the contacts between the brain and the radio… or the controller and the radio… Try different combinations of brains and controllers to find the error.

1 Like

Hmmm…We only have one brain, remote, and controller.

They all have great ideas but what I found had worked best was just calibrating the controller again.

That didn’t work either. Neither did new smart radios. I’m at a loss.

We did check and we already had the latest firmware.

The Smart Radios communicate using the 2.4 GHz wireless spectrum, which is also used by Bluetooth, 2.4 GHz WiFi channels, and potentially many other wireless devices, such as some wireless smart lighting systems or other IoT devices. If there are a lot of wireless devices running on the 2.4 GHz spectrum at the same time, it may be difficult for some devices to communicate to each other. It would be like trying to have a conversation with someone next to you at a concert.

The easiest way to test whether this could be causing these connection issues would be to take the Robot Brain and Controllers out to an area far away from other wireless devices, such as the end of a parking lot away from any other buildings.

If the Robot Brain and Controller function great in the parking lot, but constantly disconnect in the classroom, this would indicate that heavy 2.4 GHz wireless traffic may be causing the Smart Radio connection issues. In this scenario, the recommended course of action would be to talk to your local IT department to see if there is any devices that could be disabled or switched to 5.0 GHz WiFi channels.

1 Like

Ok. We will try that. We are a homeschool team and meet in my home. We definitely have other devices going on here. We did not have this issue last year when we met in our home, but we do have some extra devices we got our kids since then. I will see what happens.