Remote Power Off?

Is there away to remotely shut down (turn the power completely off) a vex cortex robot. For example, using a button on the controller to turn off the power on the vex cortex.

No.

While you can’t turn the cortex off remotely, you can stop the program remotely by putting all the code in a switch- case loop and have buttons switch the case between on and off.

int count = 0;

task main()
{
	while (1)
	{

//Turn program on
                if (vexRT[Btn8D] == 1)
		{
			count = 1;
		}
		switch (count)
		{
		case 1:
			//user code

//Turn program off
                        if (vexRT[Btn7D] == 1)
			{
				count = 2;
			}
		case 2:

//Turn program on
                       if (vexRT[Btn8U] == 1)
			{
				count = 1;
			}
			else
			{
				return;
			}
		}
	}
}

YES.

It’s not VRC legal, but you could easily put a 5V relay in series with the battery and control it either using a speed controller or transistor and digital output. Depending on how you hook it up you might need an override switch to power up the cortex for booting.

If you wanted a VRC legal way, then I’d say mount a servo motor or pneumatic such that when it is activated it turns the main power switch off… or so that it pulls the battery out. (just remember to keep the switch accessible, and the lights visible.) I’m not quite sure why this would be helpful, but that wasn’t the question you asked, was it??

If you dig into the datasheet for the Cortex and modify one of the operating systems, you may be able to slip the Cortex into a lower power state and revive it later on… I’m not familiar enough with the Cortex chip and VEX hardware to say for sure that this option exists, but most microcontrollers can be set to a “sleep” mode using very low power, but from which they can be awakened at a later time.

Jason