remote range

i have been trying to drive my robot from a large distance and it keeps losing connection. Is there anyway to extend the range of the remote?

I too have been annoyed by not being able to download code from the computer while the robot is on a table about 20ft away. I know nothing about how the VEXnet radios work, but I believe they might work better of there is no interference such as wifi. Haven’t tried it though, nor would it be possible for me to eliminate all wifi in my area.

I’m not sure how you’re using it, but you can always use a long USB extension from the remote to have the VEXnet key closer to the robot. Also use an extender to mount the VEXnet on the top or side of the robot away from metal.

If you have them, also try with the old black VEXnet 1.0 keys, they seemed to work better on long distances.

They use WiFi frequencies, but they’re crappier than your house wifi when it comes to range, I believe. Because they use WiFi frequencies, whatever tricks you could do to your house wifi, theoretically could work for the vex net keys, but if you’re using them in competition, they would not be legal.

They are definitely much better when in line-of-sight. We sent our robot about 30ft+ without dropouts while in line of sight. As soon as it looses line of sight, then we drop out.
We prank our teachers by driving it into their office and shooting balls at them, but we have to follow the robot because of the walls.

For me, I realized that 1.0 keys can go longer ranges than 2.0 keys.
I think that what’s going on is that the 2.0 keys use higher frequencies than 1.0 keys… This means that 2.0 keys are good at close ranges, but the 1.0 keys are much better and can handle longer ranges.

I haven’t really noticed a difference. We have a long hallway in the building where we work and we have driven robots with both 1.0 and 2.0 keys. They went about the same distance before cutting out

I was once almost fifty feet above my robot and I was still able to drive it without a problem, but this might have been due to the fact tat we were the only moving robot at the time, so there were no conflicting signals.

They are both 2.4Mhz. There should be no range difference due to frequency. There may be other factors.

One thing that might help a tiny bit is if you run a usb extension cable from you cortex to the vexnet key and then mount the key above you robot.

Perhaps we just had a bad cable/bad positioning/weak attachment, but we were never quite able to get that to work. We always dropped signal with the extension cable, and so we resorted to simply tape the key down inside the cortex to ensure it wouldn’t get loose.