RGB LEDs on Vex Robot

Hello,
I had a question about the usage of RGB LED’s on a Vex Robot - I was wondering if it is possible to control the colors of RGB LEDs using the Robot C software. I know that for them to be legal they must be wired into the cortex without an external battery or source of power. Would it be possible to control their color, and, if so, how?
Here is the link to the LEDs we are looking into buying: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DTOAWZ2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1447649454&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=leds+rgb&dpPl=1&dpID=615k29U2Y7L&ref=plSrch

Thanks,
Anupam

Love having robots with LEDs.

Programming is very similar to just controlling the standard vex LEDs (at least in configurations I have tried).

// To Turn it on
SensorValue[Digital Port with LED's in it] = 0;

// To Turn it off
SensorValue[Digital Port with LED's in it] = 1;

A couple of issues with the product you posted. Those ones need a 12v power supply, the cortex sensor ports give around 5v and motor ports around 7.2v. Also, it’s a pretty long strip, and they rate it as drawing 5 amps, which is really high and would trip your PTCs on the motor ports and who knows what that will do to sensor ports.

Assuming you find a smaller one that will work with the cortex, you would need to check exactly how to wire them, but I believe that they have one pin positive power (in the one you posted 12v), and one pin each for Red negative, Blue negative, and Green negative. So you probably will be able to power and control the colors of the LEDs with the cortex, you would just need to use 3 ports and some modified wiring.

Great! Thanks for your help - the link I posted was just to kind of show what kind of thing we wanted to do. We are definetely looking into finding 5v ones.

Thanks again,
Anupam

if you arent using all 10 motor ports you can do something kinda ghetto; use motor ports as outputs.

We use these on our robots from a recommendation I saw on the forum here . They are 5v, and you can make any RGB color on them you want. And they only take 2 Digital ports on your cortex. I would stick with the 1 meter 30 led strip, otherwise your power draw might hinder your motors, or overload the 5v regulator on the cortex.

Edit: Totally didn’t realize this was an old thread, but I feel this info is still relevant with all the cheap LEDs I’ve seen in Indiana alone this season.

ok, i just cut a piece off a 5m strip and soldered 3 extension cables 1 each for red green and blue. Sensors worked for it but it was dim so i used motor ports and it worked great. also this was just a tiny speed drive train and im now coding the leds to fade.