Robot C 4.xxx and Vexnet 1.0 keys

Is RobotC 4.xxx usable with Vexnet 1.0 keys? If so, is there a list of steps somewhere on how to upgrade the firmware on keys and joystick?

We’re using donated (aka “old”) equipment and have been able to get RobotC to work on an old cortex (1st gen from 2010 with 1.0 keys) for autonomous programs, but not for O/C (joystick) projects.

It might be time to bite the bullet and spring for some 2.0 keys.

I’m trying to remember if I’ve tried our 1.0 keys with RobotC, but it shouldn’t make a difference. Just make sure the firmware on the joystick and cortex is up to date, and then be sure to tether them once after updating. At least with EasyC it is interchangeable as long as you are using a matched pair of keys (both 1.0 or both 2.0), pretty sure RobotC is the same.

Yes.

Update everything to VEX firmware V4.25 using the vexnet firmware upgrade utility (which ironically I prefer to using RobotC itself.)

The blacks keys do not need firmware.

My bad, I must have glanced over the part asking for instructions on updating the cortex/joystick firmware.

Do many people still use the black keys? We have a pair we use with our 7th graders since our teams didn’t participate in the upgrade program a few years back, and I don’t want to spend $80 on 2.0 keys when the black ones seem to work fine.