Robotics Classes - High School Math credit

If you teach a Robotics class - do you have it count as a math credit? My district is wanting to do this. Can you recommend a math/robotic book?

I don’t think our school district is doing this, but thats a great idea.

Programming, driving and competing with a robot is much better than sitting at a desk with the quadratic formula in front of you.

There are two ways I can think of to integrate math at an early level:

• Statistics – is xyz design significantly better than abc design, population mean of robot performance, etc.
  • Physics – designing the robot based on force/torque analysis, etc.

But I’m not sure I would consider it a true robotics math class unless it was well post-calculus, using university-level applied math skills.

It’s not a great idea if you’re not actually going to learn a fair amount of math through the process.

And while I can understand not wanting to sit at a desk doing quadratic formula problems, one must ultimately learn the theory before they can do application.

Well, since it was presented as a robotics class, I am guessing that the class encompasses these things in an actual developed curriculum. If it was just being in a robotics club, then of course.

I’m a firm believer in hands on learning, as that is how I learn best and how it sticks with me - actual application of the theory. There are multiple things that can be taught and then observed and tested - analysis and prediction of matches based on capabilities of robots and past performance using statistics and probability, physics of systems based on their strengths, masses and such, modeling of subsystems and their performance compared to real world constructs, developing baseline autonomous programs reacting to sensor inputs of an actual field and having the model iterated and refined from actual data.

What does any of those things have to do with the quadratic equation? Besides, I know very few people who are interested in robotics who also are taking a course that teaches the quadratic equation.

Hmmmm. I do robotics, and I like quadratics. What a conundrum.

My school has several robotics, engineering, and programming classes that all contribute to computer science credits, not math or science. I’m currently taking a class called robotics and engineering technology and we don’t use a book. What our teacher does is introduce us to a robotics system such as Makeblock, Arduino, or Microbit and gives us a design challenge. These design challenges all have minimum requirements like hove a moving robot respond to a sensor or make an interactive experience/toy for kids. What I really love about the class is that we can make whatever we want within these requirements using the resources in our maker-space. Our teacher also has us do progress documents to record all of our progress each day and design reports to showcase the final product. I’m really happy that our teacher doesn’t use a book or anything like that because the learning is completely hands on and forces us to solve problems in our own creative way.

BUT HOW WILL YOU FIND ROOTS WITHOUT IT!!!???

Every state will be different on this. Find some version of your Course Code Directory (as they call it in FL) and find a class that counts as a math credit that you teacher has the certification to teach. Prepare for disappointment. Florida has no middle school course like this, so I teach Critical thinking and Computer Applications, AKA, ROBOTS.