Robotics team signup

I am trying to start a robotics team in my High School consisting of 15-20 students and I am creating a poster to post around the school and I need a way to pull them in. is there a 1-2 paragraph I can use to educate people to join

2016 Poster

2018 Poster

11 Likes

like the concept dont have the robot built bc of new challenge but i like the design

btw the website looks good too i am starting on one also

Maybe talk about how it can help with college apps?

does this work?

In the Vex Robotics Team, Through its uniquely engaging combination of teamwork, problem-solving, and scientific discovery, the study of competitive robotics encompasses aspects of STEM. You’re not building VEX robots because your future job will involve tightening shaft collars on a metal bar.You’re executing an engineering design and problem-solving process that resembles the VEX Robotics Competition’s mindset used by rocket scientists, brain surgeons, and inventors around the World.

1 Like

That sounds really good my only worry is that it might be a little long and someone passing by a poster might not bother reading it. It would be fantastic on the website tho

@apandey thx any idea what you would put?

@Deathtooall13

I think you should keep this part and maybe add a little context to the beginning. Basically you want it to be short and sweet.

1 Like

Isn’t this exactly what is said in the beginning of the game manual?

1 Like

Promise them cookies if they do your notebook.

The key question is who you need to hook in on the idea first. Is the school on-board already? Will the school support your program? Providing space, funding, marketing?
What form of program do you envision? Could the program be run by the school staff (science teacher)? Or by parent volunteers? Or perhaps as a student run after-school club? (You’d still need some adults around)

When we started VexIQ program at our middle school, we first pitched the idea to the PTA, then got aligned with the principal, doing a presentation for the students and presenting initial material donation (3 IQ kits) to the school.
The school then provided access to storage and a room after school hours and PTA provided some funding. We have managed to pitch the program as part of the school’s new year registration packet and presented robots as part of the PTA fundraiser.

In later years, the school even run tournaments, covering the program cost, though IQ is certainly cheaper to run than VRC.

2 Likes

yes the school is funding and supporting the team and both parents and teachers will be mentors for the program and we have a entire room for it

get your friends onboard, it doesnt matter if they are smart or not (in the terms of being able to understand mechanics/robotics principles) get people on board encourage them to enjoy it and then influence them to spread the word of it and get more people involved. also build a demo robot, it doesnt have to be fully working literally a drive train would work and drive it around during a demo/presentation

2 Likes

Cool, having the school onboard big way, you might be able to secure some presentation time.
Posters don’t talk. People and robots do.

Assuming you plan to actually start with the next school year, there are typically school-wide events early that you can piggy-back on.

• Get a word out in the Principal newsletter.
  • Pop up a manned stand on a back-to-school night.
  • Negotiate an in-classroom talk for target classes.

While high school environment is certainly different, this is how we started the IQ program at our middle school: https://youtu.be/mz_AK38nd_Q?t=96
Even though Nesbit was quite a small school (only starting the middle-school part that year), we have quickly got 35 students to sign up and form 5 teams.

2 Likes