Round Up Designs

Does anybody remember when they competed in round if so what would be the better design for a robot a needle that goes in the middle of the doughnuts and uses intake rollers to suck them up. Or a claw that wraps around several doughnuts at once???:confused:

What would you be using it for? Is it just a side project or are you going to do some kind of competition?

Well my school doesnt compete in real vex my school does competitions in the region that we are in. So the game that i will think that will be happening next year should and I think will be round up.

Personally, I think that the needle + separate descorer was the best design because it can pick up whole stack as well as stray tubes that have just been thrown about. Another big advantage is that it can put a certain number of tubes on a post at a time whereas a claw usually has to dump its whole load at once (eg. pick up 4 with each - clawbot can put 4 on one post, needle bot can put 4 on one or 2 on 2 or one on 4 …). If you decide to go with a design like this, I would check out team 44’s robot from that year, Fred IV because their strategy of, “score a few, dump the goals” was really effective

Here are two really good examples of each
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CoQzbXLR34 (claw-1103)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fXowqHzMNE (needle-44)

The number of hours that went into answering this question… And I still don’t think there was ever a definite answer. It was pretty much shown that hanging was not such a big issue, and robots that could pick up the weighted bases were a huge success. With so many videos of robots doing it available, you should have no trouble including it yourself.

If you decide to go with a cage bot, I would strongly recommend you emulate this design.
We used a second set of claws (we called them wings) to allow us to descore and score in one swift motion, seen in this video.

It takes a bit of skill to execute, but it will allow you to win tournaments much more easily at a local skill level.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xvto2EOWlY&t=1m19s

Needle bots were effective, but their biggest problem was that they could not descore without another mechanism being present. If you solve that problem, then a needle bot would be on par with a cage bot.

well i strongly suggest you build this or this either way it would be pretty hard to beat you plus i think there is a cad model of 1103’s robot floating around

but if you want to go the simple approach consider a claw on a 4 bar linkage it works wonders with a good driver plus you can almost play every aspect of the game with it (ignore the ladder it was a decoy, most teams that attempted it failed or there opponents were able to descore fast enough to make the difference in points to be very tiny)

another thing to consider is getting the bases under the ladder with the claw my friends team was able to do it but would not attempt it during competition due to fear of robot failure but we proved that it was possible in practice

I suggest the needle because of what you can add on to it.(hanging mechanism/goal lift/de-scorer)

DO NOT READ BELOW IF YOU ARE AN EDUCATIONAL TEAM TRYING TO TURN THIS INTO A LEARNING EXPERIENCE.

for a competition robot however, i suggest using free range’s hanging mechanism and intake only with this goal lifter. I also suggest simplifying the de-scoring mechanism to wasabi’s and use their drivetrain(optional) or a tank style with full omni’s. The hanging mechanism can also flip out similar to wasabi’s de-scoring mechanism

Note: this will be a very hard robot to build and your team will need a lot of experience or time.

The reason why i suggest this is because the needle intake allows you to control how many rings you score and allows you to de-score and place your own rings very quickly. In addition to that, you may immediately pick up your goal and haul it to the ladder to prevent further de-scoring. The reason why i recommend this type of goal lift is because it takes very little fine tuning compared to amess’s and free range’s. I suggest a X drive for it’s speed and how much easier it makes to aim while high hanging. However, this can also be done(with slightly less tolerance) with omni wheels because the robot would strafe to accommodate for lock on errors. If you choose to use omni wheels, you may make this simpler by adding line followers to the robot.

I would think 4 motors on drive(393), 2 motors on intake(269), and 4 motors on the lift will be great(269). The lift however should be powered by worm gears with elastic support.

I also recommend this design because of it’s ability to evolve. You are competition ready with a drive train, lift, and intake. However if you have time, you can easily add the goal lift, de-scorer, and high hanging mechanism.

You did not say you were running the exact Roundup rules or if you are modifying them (say, using no ladder to hide the portable goals or no de-scoring or autonomous bonus being the same)

Just a quick search of our guys robots for Round Up. We had a slew of designs but here are some of the best we had.

Needle - 81 with a holonomic base. De-scoring is the only thing with that one as noted by some other posters. (Middle school Think Award at worlds for Roundup)

IMG_0148 IMG_8206

Polycarb Claw - 80 had a unique claw which had the plastic levels just right for each ring we did not see from anyone else. The 4 bar lift mechanism could be faster and lighter with aluminum and possibly a differnet means of lifting if done over again, but it worked like a champ and was ultra-reliable. (Middle School Excellence Award at worlds for Roundup)

IMG_6594 IMG_8191

Plastic guide for the base - 23A had this cool ploycarb semi-circle which helped guide the robot on to the goal. They had undriven omnis on the front so once it hit the goal, the weight of the base moved the robot into perfect scoring position. They then had an auto scoring button to back up just the right distance and drop on the rings automatically. Wicked cool.
(sorry you can’t actually see the plastic semi circle on these but you get the point)

IMG_8195 IMG_9876

(apprently there’s a 5 image limit to posts so just one image for 23A)

All of these (as most everyone else at that point) also had the cheater claws on the side. Can’t forget those!

I always get trolled by my team for this, but i personally think that the best scoring robot was a needle and descorer. The bot i though excuted this the best was Wasabi 1492Z. Though they had green eggs on their side, they managed to come in second in their division (proving that they are really good scorers). The quickness of their scoring and descoring was insane. Some other good examples of this were 1107B, 2921, 44, 2K, and many other amazing teams that i do not remember or did not see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOASjGqt1-4&list=UUJzLFfkeNkFsqgrqvzRwjng&index=5&feature=plcp (this match all robots are like this with a needle and a descorer.

Now that I think about it, the complexity of X drives are pointless now that mecanums are out…

I really liked wasabi because of their autonomous program. It potentially undoes another autonomous program, increasing your alliance’s odds of winning the bonus

(this match all robots are like this with a needle and a descorer.

Thanks for the props, I would also endorse the needle+descorer design. Claws are efficient early game when there are stacks, but at a higher level, being able to collect loose rings is very important. Additionally, descoring while holding your own rings is another important feature that increases the efficiency of your robot.

Thanks for the shout out! We were pretty proud of our autonomous that year. It was developed at Worlds when we noticed the insane speed of some clawbots at scoring the stack closest to the alliance square. The autonomous worked perfectly only once, but it was an extremely close match and definitely shifted the score in our favor. The match can be seen here:

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sN6ISZ8JDw

Props to 1447 RoboSaints for a devastatingly fast score and (although it didn’t work this match) also throwing another stack of tubes under the ladder.](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sN6ISZ8JDw)