Rubber band intake for change up

I was just wondering how you guys think rubber band intakes would work for change up. My biggest concern with them is de-scoring. I am not sure if a rubber band roller could fit under the basket. what do you guys think?

2 Likes

I think tank treads are going to be more efficient, even in top down rollers.

1 Like

my worry is that treads don’t secure the balls well and the ball could slip.

What’s a rubber band intake?

I think the use of rubber bands might be good if you tension the ball with them, tank treads might be easier to space out though i’m not sure.

I am considering using treads i just think that i will be able to save a motor and it will be much easier to design with the rubber band rollers

That was my initial thought when I heard about change up. But I think treads will be much better.

image 2018 – 2019 VEX Season – Turning Point | Team 254
A rubber band intake is the rubber bands stretched across sprockets like on the front of this random turning point robot.
Edit: I’m not sure why the image showed up twice. Sorry.

1 Like

right now i am in a very basic design process and I really am concerned with de-scoring.

wouldn’t you save a motor with the tank treads because they’re a solid mass of tread while the rollers are two different components? you’d have to use an extra pair of sprockets with rubber band intakes to get them to both use a motor

edit: are you talking about front intakes or like the ones on the inside?

if you run an axle or stand-offs through the sprockets they run at the same time.

top down rollers are not going to come close to descoring ability. you need side rollers for sure.

2 Likes

Rubber band intakes won’t be as efficient at intaking balls because there is only one point of contact at the top of the ball, but then again you save a motor by doing that style of intake. For a hood robot, the indexer could be rubber band sprockets possibly for the sake of space efficiency (the ball will dig into the indexer), but this won’t transfer power nearly as efficiently as a solid piece of tank tread.

This is because there is energy loss in the stretching of the rubber band, so instead of directly transferring the energy to the balls and launching the balls, the energy gets dissipated in the rubber bands.

1 Like

I skipped the last part of the post, oops. I think that TT type rollers are way more efficient, especially with tank treads

edit: post above mine makes relatively good point

With treaded intakes, they generally would have more traction but at the cost of speed. It is very hard to have treads at 600 RPM due to the sheer rigidity and all the flaps causing random spikes in torque requirement. With rubber band intakes, they are smoother and faster but at the cost of traction. Now, how do we compensate while doing rubber band intakes? By having anti slip mat or some other tractioned surface on the other side where the ball rests on (i.e. anti-slip on the lexan). I have competed in Nothing But Net where teams were experimenting shooting and indexing, and also competed in Turning Point. Here is my robot from Turning Point with 1 motor at 600 RPM:

There are three rollers that’s operated by one single 600 RPM motor, and the speed with it is very high. So, if we have a two motor intake with 3 rollers at 600 RPM, I am confident that it is able to manipulate the large balls at a high enough speed to gain momentum and score at a relative distance of 1/2 a foot, which is perfect for this season.
2 Likes

It’s just something that spins and rolls over a ball, and it has rubber bands around it to secure the ball until it is moved into a second stage