Sensors used for tower taekover

Which sensors do you use/ are you planning to use for tower takeover this season?

• Gyroscope
  • Ultrasonic
  • Vision
  • Accelerometer
  • Limit Switch
  • Bumper Switch
  • Potentiometer
  • Encoder
  • Light sensor
  • Line tracker

0 voters

I like how everyone so far has chosen the encoder.
Why is that? Is it for tracking wheels?

Even for V5 many moving parts such as an arm would require an encoder, since it’s very likely there are gears making it slightly less precise.

2 Likes

I’m using them for that but that question does make me curious about how many people will use them, though asking on here isn’t exactly representative of the whole league.

So, are y’all using a position wheel system?

• No
  • One Tracking Wheel
  • Two Wheels
  • Three Wheels

0 voters

2 Likes

I’m probably going with just two, since 3 is too much work. Also because I might not have enough room.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not too difficult to fit the tracking wheels in between the regular wheels on the sides of the chassis but that back wheel can be a pain. You won’t be doing massive strafing maneuvers unless you are using mecanum or an x drive anyways so getting a local x direction isn’t always a priority.

Though, then again, being able to turn while moving in a perfectly straight line is absolute garbage and I love it

1 Like

The only problem I have is that no one wants to sell their single roller Omni wheels so I can use them. VEX should really bring those back because of their resurged popularity and for teams like me who can’t get them.

1 Like

I’ve heard that the old omnis tended to sink into the ground because of the small rollers. If vex brought the single row omnis back, then they should have the same roller size as the current omnis.
Sounds like a good produce idea if you ask me :wink:

1 Like