Shooting Disks after the Match is Over

Would an automated system that triggered on first movement of the robot and then disabled motors after 60 seconds be accepted ? Not saying we would do that, and it’s far easier to add to gen 2 than gen 1 (if that’s even viable at this point, we really want to be done with gen 1 development), just curious.

10 Likes

Only downside to this is a lot of teams do an initial movement check before the start of the match to ensure they have controller communication with the robot. So, short of something tying into TM that corresponds to the start of the match, or having to press a button on the brain to say “I’m ready”, I don’t think a simple timer works.

What’s brewed in my brain would be something wherein you have Bluetooth ‘registration’ during inspection that would tie a Bluetooth/robot unique ID into TM, and then that could do it. But then it gets crazy with practices, other fields, pits, etc. Not that worth it in the end, except like I said at maybe division finals and overall finals at Worlds (so there’s zero advantage of jumping the gun or going a half second longer).

8 Likes

In Pitching In, if a ball is shot after the buzzer, it’s pretty clear and easy for refs too deal with since the balls don’t affect previous scored balls. But this season, discs shot after buzzer can really affect the final score by the interacting with prior buzzer discs already in scoring zones already. And the more discs shot after the buzzer, the more variable the results would be. It will be virtually impossible for refs to remember or score discs prior the end of buzzer or match. I tried a practice scoring exercise with my team and had them just slide pucks in with their hand and score them. Even then trying to score the discs was tricky just visually doing in head since the discs are not ordered at end of match. Easy to lose count. So we ended up sorting the discs into each of the zones in groups of 5 for easier counting. It also helped with sorting which zones the discs were in better because the ones on the black lines sometimes caused errors in counting if just visually doing it and not sort them into the zones.

Although I agree that shooting them after the buzzer doesn’t always result in better scores, in the end it’s still game affecting so they definitely need a clear rule for this or else possibly can be used to the team’s advantage.

I have a feeling shooting discs after buzzer could possibly lead to DQ because of the above statements so the kids might need to program something to disable shooting button. It will be interesting how RECF answer this issue and what the kids will need to do.

Cheers

5 Likes

They can’t just DQ teams like that. Explain to me this, if a driver accidentally hits the button for shooting disks after the buzzer I will think that the RECF will not DQ them cause mainly cause they are children and if they get DQed that would lead to those kids quit Vex Iq.

1 Like

Warnings will be issued first, but if they’re repeatedly violating the rules, then DQs can happen; there’s a really clear diagram in the rules now that I thought was clever.

Teams still have to comply with the rules. In the end, I still think this will be largely a non-issue, as it’s generally going to be more point-savvy to go hit the contact zone than try to squeeze a few more discs in.

12 Likes

There were absolutely zeros posted for a variety of reasons at Worlds. Local events will be less stringent (YMMV).

1 Like

RECF≠referees.

Also, a single DQ isn’t going to cause people to quit VEX. Sure, it might cause some hurt feelings, but it’s gonna take more than an obvious rule violation (in an attempt to boost match scores and overall rankings) to make kids quit VEX.

Also, most referees don’t discriminate based on age. Sure, they might be a bit more lenient on IQ kids because they are younger, but they are not going to use their age as an excuse to not follow the obviously posted rules.

8 Likes