Should I make my robot aesthetic?

Here’s a random somewhat goofy question. How does everyone feel about aesthetic robots. ie color coordinated

2 Likes

I think it’s a nice touch

1 Like

If you have the time, you should totally do so

1 Like

I like it. Blue or Black always looks cool. Zip ties are the best touch plus they’re easy and cheap. Symmetry makes the best robot though. My opinion is the robot has to operate well though too(we struggled there this year).

6 Likes

I’d go with aesthetic. It improves the look, and it often makes a happier team!

1 Like

I’m in VRC, and my team is actually working on things to make out robot look better right now! And team 2158K has RGB LED strips on their robot.

1 Like

One team at the southern NY states anodized their aluminum red and blue which was pretty wild. I assume it was pretty difficult and time consuming though.

1 Like

Well, aesthetic robots require a lot of planning and basically a complete rebuild. So if you do a color-coordinated bot you have to all the way and not have any vanilla metal. I’m not gonna lie but some painted bots look REALLY bad because paint chips away or bad color placement etc.

I think that the vanilla bots with accent colors look cooler and require significantly less effort. one way to do this is by leds or colored anti-slip mat or colored lexan/abs or colored tape. if you get tape that is 1/2 inch wide you can put it across c channels super easily. if you see 6842z’s past robots they all have tape and they are all 10/10 aesthetic

2 Likes

I mean, my robot’s name is Jankbot, so if the paint comes out well, then great! If the paint comes out poo poo, then the bot can live up to its name!

3 Likes

You only get to compete for a limited time each season before the rebuild process for the new season starts. So if you have the time, I say you should definitely try it because it just adds a personal touch to your robot, helping it stand out from the rest.

1 Like

I personally love seeing super aesthetic bots, whether they’re aesthetic because they’re symmetrical or because they’re color coordinated or whatever other variation of aesthetic-ness you can think of and I wish that I could make mine more aesthetic… i just need to get it functioning better first so that I can actually compete

1 Like

I think aesthetics are only for teams that are excelling. This means being mostly top 5 in comps and winning awards to show that you put a lot of time and effort into your robot and to assert your dominance.

2 Likes

This man /woman is pure genius.

To be honest though, if you’re robot is bad but it is still elaborately decorated, it kinda ends up showing people that you put more effort into its looks than performance.

So if youre going to decorate your robot, make sure it actually works.

4 Likes