Should I use a high strength shaft for my 3000 rpm flywheel?

I’m thinking of having a speed cartridge geared 1:5 for a flywheel. Should I use a high strength drive shaft for it, or just use a normal one.? This is my second year of robotics and my first year messing with gear ratios so any help is much appreciated, thank you!

The last season with flywheels in common use was Turning Point. I would suggest looking for explainer videos from that season.

I know that my students used a HS axle that season, and suspect that was the most common choice.

6 Likes

Alright, thank you I will definitely look into that!

I see no reason to, if you have the axel supported on both sides then high strength won’t be needed.

8 Likes

There’s probably pros-and-cons to either and neither is likely to make much difference compared to having high build quality and reducing friction as much as possible. One can have a high-quality build with little friction with either shaft-type and there may be other factors that drive the decision to use one over the other.

12 Likes

Alright, that is very doable thank you!

Alright, thank you for your input!

I almost edited my post to make this point, thanks.

It does depend on how the flywheel is mounted. For Turning Point, it was common to have a fairly large flywheel with ~ 4-5" between supports. This year it looks like it will be easier to have less span between supports - which makes the standard shaft a good choice.

3 Likes

I think one of the bigger differences with HS vs normal is how a bigger shaft increases the mass and while rotating the angular momentum. Thick boi shafts are going to take longer to speed up but not slow as much down when shooting discs, which could be really beneficial.

3 Likes

I would not recommend using HS shafts. As others have said, LS shafts can work if you have proper build quality and support. If you were to use a HS shaft, you would have a lot more friction in the system. It is next to impossible to get a HS shaft to have has little friction as a LS.

7 Likes

Back in TP it was standard to use a HS axle and a lot of teams used them in NBN. A flywheel imparts energy through compressing the ball/disc into the flywheel and it was a common issue that LS axles would bend from repeated shots and HS axles didn’t have that problem. Once the axle bends a little the flywheel is off balance and will result in very inconsistent shots.

7 Likes

If built right that won’t happen.

2 Likes

yeah , I agree with your advice

4 Likes

Usually people don’t reply with just “I agree”, since it’s a little bit cluttering. They added the like button for that. welcome to the forums soldier

9 Likes

Yes, I agree with your advice.

13 Likes

I too, agree with your advice

6 Likes

Yes, I too, am in complete agreeance with what has been said.

6 Likes

I approve of these messages agreeing with the above posted advice.

12 Likes

I am in a state of concurance of the message above me approving of the messages in agreeance with what has been said.

12 Likes

One point to be aware of is that with the introduction of the new ball bearings for HS shafts, nearly all of the friction penalty for using HS shafts has been removed…

4 Likes