Signature Events 2022

Disclaimer: Not a fan of the Signature events, with 99 regions/states and the number of signature events, every region is possibly supplying a worlds slot to the Signature events.

I am fully behind trying to create a Worlds Level Experience ™ for more than the 800 roboteers that get to attend Worlds (I’m going to speak about VRC here). The intent behind Signature Events was to create that WLE and to attract top teams to come to them. Recently there has been a push to get Regional / State Championship to have the WLE at them. Because in reality only 5% of the teams get to go to Worlds.
——-
So at the EP Summit there were some really odd numbers presented. There are a number of teams that go to SE. 32 teams do 4 or more and there is a Texas team that does 13 of them. These events sell out in hours. A large number of the winners of the SE are also qualified from their local regional/states. Those double qualifications means that regions miss out, they lost a slot to the SE and they lost a slot because of the 2Qual.

A proposal was made to make Signature event registration like early-birds. You can get into one, but will be wait listed for the rest. This somewhat helps the other teams that want to get access. But this may mean that the “signature teams” may not be able to get into the event. So it means the event may not have the super high level of robots.

The Signature events have become destinations, robots at a Waterpark, Halloween, Lambeau Field (Go Pack Go), museum, etc. So while bootstrapping the event up with Worlds Slots, all of them have such a coolness factor that the Worlds slots may not be a factor. So a proposal was made that they not have Worlds slots.

None of the two proposals were acted on, they serve as though material for RECF, so put away your torches and pitchforks.

But vote on the two proposals to give your views.

• I’m not interested in going to Signature Events
  • I think it’s OK to have teams pick a Signature Event, get one and waitlist for the others
  • I want to go to as many Signature Events as possible.

0 voters

• Not interested in going to Signature Events
  • Not interested in going to a Signature Event that doesn’t have Worlds Slots
  • Interested in doing a Signature event without Worlds Slots

0 voters

• Not interested in Signature Events
  • We go to one every year, they rock
  • We want to go to one, but the event is full
  • We want to go, but the travel costs are too much with other events and us maybe going to Worlds

0 voters

As always, comments are welcome. Let’s try to stay civil, I’m floating this poll, it’s not a RECF/VEX/Anyone else position so again, put your pitch forks and torches away.

15 Likes

Ooh, can I add a question?

Which of the following element(s) of a signature event are most appealing to you or your team?

• Interesting event venue (e.g. museum, stadium, water park)
  • Post-event team activities (e.g. after party at a theme park or sports game)
  • Worlds qualifying spots
  • Playing against teams from other regions
  • Playing “high level matches”
  • High-quality event logistics (e.g. well-organized, stays on schedule, knowledgable volunteers)
  • Other (reply below)

0 voters

9 Likes

My personal take on signature events is that I do not care to attend them and would rather go to a local event that will be more relaxed and I will have more fun at anyways.

4 Likes

Sure, add away. I’m going to modify yours to try to tease something else out.

The primary reason I want to go to a signature event is:

• World qualifying spots
  • High-quality event logistics (e.g well-organized, stays on schedule, knowledgeable volunteers)
  • Other (reply below)

0 voters

The second reason I want to go is:

• World qualifying spots
  • High-quality event logistics (e.g well-organized, stays on schedule, knowledgeable volunteers)
  • Other (reply below)

0 voters

Third reason that I want to go to Signature Events

• World qualifying spots
  • Other (reply below)

0 voters

(Should have made this a survey monkey poll to get a way to slice the answers)

4 Likes

Scrimmaging and meeting with other friends from teams we don’t see often.

10 Likes

Rule 408.2B- A team may not attend and win more than 4 signature events in 1 season.

18 Likes

Joey just too op
(20 char)

#1. This. scrimmaging, playing with/against, and seeing teams you normally don’t get to see.

#2. high level matches. without signature events, the only actual high-level matches wouldn’t happen at all until worlds and very specific state championships. Signature events literally help the meta gameplay style evolve early on, leading to a more competitive world championship while also inspiring newer teams to up their competitive game.

#3. Worlds spots. It’s a good way to solidify a worlds spot earlier on in the season.

Signature events help Vex become more competitive as a whole, and in turn inspire more teams to become competitive as well, which enriches the entire program and helps teach more kids to push the limits.

15 Likes

Hope I am not stirring a hornet nest here….
But… really no plate swapping issues for SE?

3 Likes

At least last year, at least two teams won multiple SigEvents, as Joey’s tongue-in-cheek “suggestion” implies.

More seriously, I would say that the focus, prestige, and relatively small “elite team” community solves the “plate swapping” issue (at least as I believe what you mean by “plate swapping”)

2 Likes

I see what you’re doing here…

Given the forum’s likely skew towards “elite” teams (or at least “heavily invested into VRC”), it would be interesting to see what the inputs of the SigEvent’s “local team” contingent for attending is. That said, with as quickly as these events are filling, and with them filling before the not-so-heavily-invested-in-VRC teams have even formed or met as a team, many of these SigEvents are going to skew completely towards elite-only teams.

2 Likes

I didn’t think that winning a sig took away a spot for local teams? I thought it was just like an extra spot that was awarded to that team and not subtracted from the regional total. Now if they go to states and qualify through that then yeah your technically losing a spot. ig i just dont really get it if some one could direct me to a document htat explains it

I think what was meant was that out of however many signature events in a year, since they offer 3 Worlds qualifying spots at each, there’s enough spots going to signature events that, if they were to not offer qualifying spots, you could award every region in the US (or at least almost) an extra qualifying spot at their state/regional championship.

3 Likes

I mean that’s what happens in effect. Most of your teams that win signature events also tend to win spots at their event region championship.

2 Likes

Exactly this. And maybe one of those former Signature Events slots could go to @meng. Just food for thought :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Perhaps the root question is: Who are Signature Events for? Given the (or at least partly) reason they exist is:

It would seem to me that there may be some goals that are in tension with each other. Namely, part of WLE means encouraging World’s Level teams to attend. This doesn’t seem to be a problem - plenty of Worlds Level teams are attending SigEvents. In fact, the opposite may be the case - there may be too many World’s Level teams attending, crowding out non-Worlds Level teams who would benefit from the exposure to World’s Level teams.

I think it’s reasonable (but not strictly always true) that teams that are travelling across regions for Signature Events consider themselves “World’s Level” (whether they actually are or not, maybe attendance at the SigEvent allows them to assess whether they are or not). While generally many of the “local teams” to the SigEvent are less likely to be “World’s Level”. Obviously not true (via tautology) for “World’s Level” teams that happen to live in the area of the SigEvent. But these are the very teams likely to attend multiple SigEvents, not all of which would be in their region.

Given that, maybe SigEvents should hold some capacity back (10%? 25%? 33%? - who knows what the right proportion should be) for “local teams”.

2 Likes

Either that, or maybe your Signature Events should be held after Event Region Championships to encourage and non Worlds teams to attend.

If not everyone can attend Worlds, and you want to provide a WLE, then that period from mid March to early April would be the perfect time to host those sorts of events.

Your Worlds teams may be preparing rebuilds or practicing, but you enable teams who may not have any postseason play a chance to play.

It’s what I’m working towards organizing this season if I can, if not next season.

8 Likes

I wouldn’t go to a sig without a worlds qual. They pull tons of teams off of waitlist for Worlds. WAY TOO MANY. They should be giving worlds spots to good teams. Like those who win signature events. So there should be more events that have world qualifying spots, not less. Then they wouldn’t take from waitlist. I understand that they want to give the Worlds experience to everyone possible, but c’mon.

2 Likes

Sounds like you want World’s to have a “Exclusively Elite Team Signature Event Experience”.

6 Likes

But those teams who win signature events have already qualified for Worlds by winning…

The waitlist spots this year were because we lacked many international teams this year at Worlds. Normally that’s not the case.

11 Likes