Simple 2 motor lift/ claw

Were a new team rn we have a 4 motor chassis and need to build a motor/lift to score mogos whats something simple I can build not too complicated with 2 motors max 3

1 or two motor four bar with a 1 motor clamp or a pneumatic clamp

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I would recommend a four bar. They are fairly easy to make and the best solution for mobile goal scoring. They will most likely need three motor for a simple one, as mentioned previously. Don’t worry about pneumatics if you are new, just use a motor clamp. Here is a video that talks about four and six bars, though I would recommend for an easier build to use a four bar. Six bars really aren’t necessary this year. Here’s the link to the video: https://youtu.be/hZUbCSGAy-o

Edit: just check out this guy in general. He has a lot of helpful stuff. (Name: Kepler Electronics)

3 Likes

2 motor four bar, 1 motor would not be enough. That motor would overheat and die in 2 minutes.

as a team that uses a 1 motor 4 bar, you can absolutely do it as long as you use pinion gears in a VERY extreme ratio on top of a torque (red) motor

2 Likes

I would recommend a 2 motor four bar lift and either a pneumatic claw or motorized claw, but since you’re a new team I would just stick with a motorized one as it will be much easier and simpler.

1 Like

1 motor is more than enough to power a lift.

6 Likes

I was mostly just saying it for the new teams sake. It’s definitely possible to do with the right gearing I just don’t think it’s a good idea to recommend that to a new team because it would make it much more difficult for them to build and increase the things they have to worry about. If done properly though it can be better than 2 motors and save you a motor but it’s quite difficult and somewhat time consuming to get it right. I know I wouldn’t want to be on a new team and do it wrong and have the motor keep overheating and then die.

1 Like

I don’t understand how this is difficult or time consuming. A 100 rpm cartridge on a 1:7 gear ratio is something very basic. If a team does not know how to do this, they should be learning how to immediately.

2 Likes

Yeah I know it is, but you have to get the gearing just right otherwise lifting a mogo will put strain on the motor, and I didn’t want a new team to have to worry about all that.

??? The gearing is very simple. As said earlier if you are struggling to gear this then you need to learn. Gear ratios are probably the most common thing in vex, and are required for every game.

3 Likes

For a new team figuring out the gear ratio and putting it together can be somewhat difficult and take a bit of time depending on how much prior experience they have. For an experienced team it’s pretty easy and quick. I’m just talking about the new team in all of these replies not in general. Sorry if that was confusing.

Ok yes I understand you are talking about new teams. Again, if you are a new team you have to know how to make a gear ratio. If you can not do this, you will not be able to do anything I’m vex and will never progress. Learn how to build it now so that way you can progress to other things as you get more advanced.

2 Likes

Yeah you’re right. I was just going off of how they said they were new and needed something simple, I wasn’t really thinking that much. It’s really up to them what they would prefer to do and what would be better for their robot as they’re both pretty easy. Thank you for correcting me.

1 Like

Yep. Sorry I wasn’t really thinking. You’re completely right. It’s definitely something you need to learn as a new team, plus this is probably the easiest way to do that. Sorry about all that. I have not been thinking clearly today so thank you for correcting me I’m really glad you did.

1 Like

Ah that makes sense, my bad

1 motor lift is not a problem on our bot with no pneumatics (4m drive, 1m lift, 1m backlift, 1m claw)

1 Like

Read my other replies when I was talking with Milo and Saffron.

Simple Lift:
2 Motor Lift (Red Motors aka High Torque Motors)
4 Bar Linkage
12t to 84t gear reduction (Motor attached to 12t gear, 4 bar attached to 84t gear)

Claw:
Pnuematic Claw (More Complicated, but very nice for driving in matches, plus leaves you with spare motor
Motorized Claw (Heavier for Lift, but 2 motor high torque with 7:1 gear reduction its fine)
Lots of examples for simple claws online
Motorized Claw: Vex Tipping point new clamp for states - YouTube
Pnuematic Claw:

1 Like