Sister teams / multi team organizations

I was wondering how sister teams / multi team organizations work. Do all the teams end up working together, do they have rivalries, do they go to different competitions? Just overall information about the dynamics of sister teams and multi team organizations.

All of our sister teams worked together

There can be a lot of complex team dynamics in a multiple-robot organization, some good, some less than good. VEX Team 3547:VIRUS is a little different from the typical “school” team as we are a community team with students from 3rd grade (IQ) through College (VEX-U). In a typical year, we’ll have 12-16 IQ teams (both ES and MS), 6-8 VRC teams (both MS and HS), and our U-team.

Our teams all work independently of each other, each developing their own designs and building their own bots. There are a few organizations that all build clone-bots, but outside of beginning IQ teams building the trainer in early season, that’s not us. The U-team and older HS teams tend to mentor and help the younger VRC teams, while IQ teams get a bit more parental help since the kids are younger (mostly to keep the kids focused), however, we try and keep dad-bots to a minimum.

Most teams get along with each other through the season (but we’re not perfect, and there can be some friction/rivalry occasionally). A reminder that we’re all one team together, combined with some whole-team community service activities help everyone get along.

Our teams will usually split up, going to various different events through the state, and our U-team provides referees all over the state as well. Some of our HS students will help manage the VEX Event Trailer when it goes out to various events. We host about 5 events each year in-house as well, and all our teams (as appropriate) compete together at the home events.

6 Likes

We work together on 2011

1 Like

In my organization, each team works on their own robot, but we help each other out. Like if one team is having trouble with getting their robot working, We all end up building different robots. Last year we had a cap bit while our sister team had a puncher.
we will help them.

I would say that we have a little bit of a rivalry between our teams, but for the most part, we are kinda like a family. Some organizations may have bigger rivalries.

As for my organization, we tend to go to the same competitions. I know that some teams might not go to the same competitions as other teams in the same organization.

4 Likes

We are a 5 team organization and all of those scenarios you said are true for our org. It really depends on each org but there usually is some level of collaboration and rivalries are huge in our org. Typically we go to the same comps but 2 occasionally some will go to certain comps and not the others. Having sister teams is quite fun and the added bonus of having in house scrims is huge for preparing for competitions.

2 Likes

In my organization, this last year anyway, the junior and senior teams worked together, while the freshmen and sophomore teams were mostly doing their own things.

2 Likes

You know know that I think about it that was the case for our org as well. I think it was the experience gap that separated us but we did share ideas a lot more between our upperclassmen teams.

We have 4 teams and we all use the same supply of parts, tools, and have one room and field. Sometimes we help the other teams when needed, but overall, we are busy with our team. During competitions, we don’t pick each other just because we are sister teams or throw matches to help each other, but we do pool scouting resources. We typically go to the same competitions, just because it is easier for the chaperones to manage.

There’s some fun sibling rivalry, like who’s first to get to States. Each team has a different vibe, level of commitment, and experience, but we all represent the same school club.

5 Likes

Experiences with multi-team organizations can vary depending on the relationships the sister teams have. In my school, we have about 6-7 Middle School teams and High School teams each, and MS and HS work independently (with different team number and mentors). However, the school have only set a small number of teams that can travel to competitions (4 in HS, 3 in MS), meaning we all have to compete in a qualifier to determine who can travel.

This policy created a lot of rivalry (or even toxicity) between our sister teams since in the end, we are all competing who can travel to competitions and who can’t. We all develop different robots with our own design (usually hidden to others), and hoarding happens very commonly. For most of the time, we act like teams that work in the same room rather than sister teams that help each other.

2 Likes

our school has 6 teams. Usually we try to help each other out if we can’t figure something out. at our school, we like to challenge each other to 1v1 matches. You could say that our teams are ‘rivals’, but in the long run we are all from the same school and will help each other get through things. our school is very similar to what @MichelleY said a couple posts above. this about fits our teams perfectly

3 Likes

Our organization is pretty small and close-knit, as we only have 3 small teams. We don’t help each other often, but we will help each other. There is a bit of friendly competition between the teams.

1 Like

my org use to have 3 teams (2 rookie teams)

each team has different robot and design, they get help from my team but they build their own robot

no. I’m fine with them come look at my design and code

yes. during early season my team went to several tournaments but they only went to one (because their weren’t ready). we went to some mid season tournaments together

3 Likes

Generally what ends up happening is there are a handful of rookie teams and 1 or 2 older teams(me this year :smile:). The rookie teams work on their own, but if they have a question or need help they ask a senior team. What also sometimes happens is as I’m walking by, I notice a rookie team doing a bad thing out of my peripheral vision and correct them. There are countless times when I’ve spun around only to say,“Use a bearing flat.”

1 Like

Our organization, robot revolution(4610) had 12 VRC teams this year and over 100 IQ teams. We’ve got a much larger organization than average, so things are probably a little different for us. Our teams all work individually, but on the same practice field and in the same room, so the senior teams are always mingled with up and coming younger teams. We try to pass down as much as we can (build quality mostly) but generational continuity is almost impossible. A member of 1 team never touches another team’s robot, but might point out key features of their own robot for younger teams to learn from.

In terms of rivals, NJ is a pretty competitive state so we’ve got some excellent organizations that we go against who we’ve gotta try to beat. To name a few, cherry hill(2616) and milburn(7405) made this year quite difficult. To call our relationship a rivalry tho would definitely be a stretch. We highly respect our opponents, and there’s plenty of inter-organization cooperation, like pre-states scrims. We appreciate our opposition because they inspire an elevation of our own work, and simulate the real world competition involved in manufacturing a product.

My biggest complaint is that worlds spots are given based off of the size of region and not competitiveness of region. Maybe an alternative might be basing worlds spots off of the previous season’s skills world rankings. Everybody goes to the same competitions.

6 Likes

Some organizations’ teams’ robots are all carbon copies of each other while some organizations have all the teams do their own things. The teams are all separate and have their own letter after the team number (my team is 7421A and one of me sister teams is 7421C). Everything really matters on your mentor and your building approaches.

2 Likes

With our organization we have 3 small teams that each do their own thing when building their own robot but when one needs help we usually try to help each other if needed, but each are mainly independent to their own team. There have been times where different teams go to different competitions depending on their robots status at the time, but for the most part we usually attend the same comps.

3 Likes

Well we have 5 teams and the 8th graders are really helpful to the less experienced teams. We are mainly independent and do not have a coach. It works well.
Hope you questions have been answered!

3 Likes

I’m a member of Vexmen (80,81,90,91,92). We have over 40 teams in all parts of vex. We are one of (if not the) largest active Vex robotics clubs. We have a central build space that our teams meet at and can talk to and work with other teams. We have 2 practice fields there plus all of our parts(and part orders). For collaborating, we see each other’s robots, we talk to our friends, we have siblings on other teams, so we get some help or ideas from there but we don’t have a set system of collaboration. We all go to the same core set of competitions (South East PA area) payed for by club dues but some teams go to more events like signature events.

3 Likes

All of the teams in our organization brainstorm and work independently for the most part, yet we sometimes collaborate with one or two of the other teams to discuss potential ideas after our initial ideas are complete. We consider the teams to be independent units, yet helping the other teams in the program as you would other teams at a tournament.

2 Likes