Slapshot yellow dispenser

Thought i would post up for anyone else that has issues with the yellow dispenser jamming up when you try to empty.
We found that the holders for the linier sliders has burrs where there is a seam from the manufacturing process.
We removed the burrs and have not had a jam up with the dispenser since.

4 Likes

When your kids go to competitions they will not have this modification. This may impact their programming. While it’s not ideal, I’m very hesitant to make any changes to the fields as that’s not what they will experience outside your room. VEX IQ pieces should not be modified outside of metal shafts.

I do wish this was done to all kits before before they were shipped! They can be a pain.

4 Likes

We were building the Yellow dispenser and they have lost one of the pins that goes into the yellow bar that goes into the sliding mechanism. Is there another pin that can be used in it place. We have looked all over the classroom and it was swept up by the custodian I am sure. They want to use one of the gray pins that came with the element. Any suggestions.

Not sure what pin you need, the color doesn’t matter. Does your kits have a similar pin?

2 Likes

If you are looking for a short pin that looks like a mix of a standoff and a pin, that would be the 1/4 pitch standoff. They do not come in many old kits. Most are found in game fields and elements. They can be found in these kits too if you want to get some. Should be the small piece in the bottom right corner:

If this is not the piece that you need, send a picture and we will all try to help you figure out what that piece is

3 Likes

Just a thought, but perhaps the jamming yellow dispenser issue needs to be addressed more formally. In our tournament today, we had the yellow dispenser jam four times on three different fields. We’ve not seen this problem before, either on our practice field or during a prior tournament. In one instance, our robot hit the push bar hard four times - nada. Understood about modifying parts but truly, there may be a QC issue here.

1 Like

I raised it with the game committee and the answer is.

Thank you for your question. If you believe the linear slider or any other part of a game element is defective, please contact VEX Support to have it replaced. Modifying a part should be done only as a last resort.

https://www.robotevents.com/VIQC/2022-2023/QA/1241

1 Like

You need to press it in the middle and push it straight back. It’s wishful thinking that you can push it anywhere on the green bar.

2 Likes

Agree! Wishful indeed! That’s my point. If, indeed, it is the burrs referenced above that are the cause, perhaps a formal directive could be made that tournament officials check for any such burrs and remove them. We had not run in to this issue until yesterday, suggesting perhaps some inconsistency in manufacture? Maybe a QC issue?

BTW, we also had a match during which our alliance partner tried to activate the yellow. The disks did not fall away normally but, instead, fell about a inch towards the fence and hung. All of them. The judges deemed them “removed” per SC5 but, of course, none of the disks could be subsequently scored under the bar.

1 Like

Here’s the response:

I’m actually really surprised at the end of this answer. A lot of people that are involved in VEX IQ aren’t technical people, including EP’s, and it’s great that this is a program that can bring them in. But adding in the end that field modification can be done as a “last resort” is inviting a lot of activity that they would not approve.

1 Like

In the middle and at the top!

2 Likes