Slowing motors while driving with V5 Motors

Does anyone know why my robot will move around fine with V5 motors but then later not be able to move at all? My only guess is that the more time I have the motors on the less strong they get but this doesnt make too much sense because V5 motors are supposed to stay at 100% no matter the battery percentage. If anyone knows the problem and how I can fix it please let me know because I don’t want this happening during competition! I included two videos, the first is me trying to spin my robot but it barely moves and the next is me an hour later doing the same thing but it works fine.

Your motors are overheating most likely. The v5 system automatically cuts power to the motors to prevent damage

5 Likes

Yea, your motors are stalling. If your robot is heavy, or you have friction somewhere in your drivetrain, or if something is out of alignment, it will stress the motors and eventually cause them to stall.

If everything is aligned and there are no major sources of friction, then you’ll have to make changes. You probably have a two motor drivetrain and would need to switch to four. Or you could change the gear cartridges inside the motors to torque (red), but then your robot would be slower.

1 Like

You are right, I have a 2 motor drive train. Is there a 3 motor drive I could switch to because I used two motors for my arm.

you could have a booster wheel in the center of your robot pointing forwards. this gives you a bit more pushing power, but doesn’t really help with turning. a better alternative may be to take one motor off your arms and give it to your drive so you can have 4 motors.

1 Like

It should be possible to use a differential to apply force to one side of the drivetrain, or the other. But that would be a complicated build. As suggested it would be easiest to convert your lift to use one motor, many teams have done this. You will need the 72 tooth gear, or a compound gears. Use rubber bands to assist with lifting.

1 Like

Take all your shafts and spin them by hand. They should spin freely. If not, check/replace the plastic bearing. You will also find some shafts are NOT to proper dimensions and will need sanding/replacing. We had to sand 50% of our shafts to get them down to size. A 1" belt sander works great for this.

Then, write the code to display motor amps & temp on the brain screen. Starting point/cold is usually 25. When you get to 50, the motors will slow down a LOT.

If your coding is good enough you could take amp readings every second and display an average which you could check at the end of run.

1 Like