Smart Port quit working

We have a V5 brain that has been working well, but now our ports 2 and 8 quit working. If we change the motors to different ports, they work just fine. Any suggestions or can they be reset?

your ports are probably fried, this is a very common problem with the brain. Static electricity is usually the culprit, so eliminating static in some way (anti-static spray, anti-static field tiles are your best bets here) is important to protect your brain from future damage.

It’s possible the ports have been damaged by other causes, but static is the primary issue when it comes to brain ports breaking.

1 Like

Ah cute, he doesn’t know.

1 Like

There is an assumption that these things don’t break…

1 Like

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I am a teacher and we are new to V5 just this year. So this is a first experience with something like this. I’m assuming there is no repair of them?

1 Like

yeah those ports are toast. luckily brains have plenty of ports so if you can eliminate large amounts of static from your environment you can prevent more ports from blowing and keep the brain usable.

or like is suggested below, you could try and return the brain and get a new one, although I’m not entirely sure if you’ll be able to get a new one for free or a reduced price, I’ve never returned any v5 hardware before.

Nope - unless you want to open up the brain and repair it yourself. Unfortunately VEX doesn’t provide the documentation or parts needed to do this (glares rossmannly). Your only bet is really to RMA it and get it replaced by VEX.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.