So my whole team quit (except maybe one)

Like the title says my whole team quit except maybe just one. Now I’m stuck doing everything and I mean literally everything any tips/ideas on what to do?

3 Likes

get new teammates I guess. ask all your friends and everyone you can think of that might be interested. all you need to be a competent team is 2-3 people minimum I’d say. 1 person can do a lot, but not everything.

6 Likes

It’s still July! Get some friends who might be interested in robotics from your school together and have fun with it.

17 Likes

I’m so sorry about that. Like @Xenon27 said, recruiting is a good place to start and until then do everything you can to get ready for the season but don’t stress, it should work out in the end. And like xenon27 said, a 2 person team can work, there was one at my school that did very well except their notebook was terrible but only because neither of them wanted to do the effort to make it good, though both knew what to do.

4 Likes

Also, it is possible to join another team at your school/ organization if you are unable to recruit people or convince people to rejoin/ change their mind?

4 Likes

VEX in my area is relatively small we have no independent teams in the area all teams are through schools. My high school runs multiple FTC FRC teams but refuses to start a vex team and will not let me join the FTC or FRC teams since i tried to start a vex team at the school.
As far as I know there are no independent teams.

1 Like

Well that’s really rude.

7 Likes

Yes obviously I really want to continue robotics hopefully vex but i cant

3 Likes

That really sucks. Perhaps they could reason with letting you join if you cant find recruits because you do see very passionate about robotics

Also, can’t your schools administrators prevent them from refusing to let you join?

3 Likes

My only suggestion if you feel you can’t become a single (or potentially 2 person team) nor join another team is to become a dedicated skills robot, I feel that has less pressure on it and you can still have slot of fun.

6 Likes

I definitely feel that I can compete by myself but I have two main concerns. Is that legal/would I get penalized in some way for doing that? Also parts a little scarce but I could make do with what I have bought over the years.

It’s perfectly legal, just challenging

3 Likes

if the only issue is getting teammates, you could be a one man team until you can find someone to help you. It’s not ideal, but better then nothing.

3 Likes

Certainly not illegal in any way shape or form, and the only way it see you getting ”penalized” if you would even call it that, would that it would be slightly harder to get a judges award since or excellence award since theirs no teamwork that can happen, but I’ve seen it done!

4 Likes

Thank you for that I must have missed that in reading through the rules

2 Likes

For parts, you could get cheap ones from old teams selling theirs, just keep a lookout for them and maybe make a donors choose or something or apply for grants for money for parts.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the help/advice it is going to help a lot.

3 Likes

I wish you luck this season and just remember to have fun and don’t stress. It will work out in the end :+1: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Teams selling parts could not be a thing as all the teams I know of in my whole state are run out of schools and there fore the parts are property of the school. I can’t apply for a grant at my school because each school gets only one in my state and the FTC and FRC team share my schools one. Also how would I go about getting donors?

1 Like

you could ask nearby companies for sponsorship, but its highly unlikely any will give an independent one man team any money tbh.