Solinoid driver input voltage tolerance

Hello,
While working with the pneumatics system on my team’s robot last night, I found that it was really difficult to remove our bike pump from the fitting, which seems to be letting out air. I have another pump that is quick to remove, but lacks a pressure gauge (meant for those actually using it for bike tires, going by feel rather than pressure). I also can’t find a shutoff valve to put between the tank and fill valve, so instead i would like to put a single acting solenoid (Pump -> air cylinder connection -> solenoid -> pressure input -> tank) in line, then activate it to fill the tank. I could either press the button to open it (but it’s a really small button), or come up with a quick circuit to energize the solinoid. However, I don’t have a connector to interface to the solenoid with, but I can interface with the driver, which leads me to ask this:

Can the solenoid driver handle +6VDC from 4 AA batteries across the power and signal lines to energize the solenoid? Perhaps some resistors would be in order? Am I completely nuts? Or should I persuade my instructor to buy a new bike pump (not at this stage)?

I could hook up a 4-cell battery pack to a header I have on hand for a quick +6VDC supply, and solder series resistors in if I had too, if the driver can handle it.

Thanks

The datasheet for the VEX solenoid (SMC part number SY113-SMO-PM3-F) is here.

http://www.airlinehyd.com/APOLLO/SMC/SY100.PDF

Tolerance on the supplied voltage is given as 10%, so 5.5V absolute max. You may be able to get away with 3 alkaline batteries (3x1.5v) or 4 NiMH batteries (4x1.2v) but you should probably use a 5V regulator unless prepared to potentially damage the solenoid. I would go on the low side (4.5v) if you are going try it.