Spring Steel Legal?

Teams are allowed to fabricate their own unique components for each of their Robots from the
following additional raw materials. These parts may be fabricated using techniques that may otherwise
be prohibited in VRC, such as welding, brazing, casting, forging, hot/cold rolling, tempering, or gluing.
a. An unlimited amount of non-shattering plastic from the following list: polycarbonate, acetal monopolymer (Delrin), acetal copolymer (Acetron GP), POM (acetal), ABS, PEEK, PET, HDPE, LDPE, Nylon (all
grades), Polypropylene, FEP.
b. An unlimited amount of silicone, polyurethane, or other rubber.
c. An unlimited amount of composite materials, such as G10 (Garolite), FR-4, or carbon fiber.
d. An unlimited number of plastic 3D printed parts.
e. An unlimited amount of steel, aluminum, brass & bronze.

Would spring steel fall under point e?

Yes, as spring steel is still just steel.

2 Likes

Given the note under the rule you quoted, I would say no. But best to ask on the official Q and A.

edit: Given the note under the rule you quoted, I would say YES. But best to ask on the official Q and A. I guess that I should have at least Googled spring steel. I assumed the spring was already made. If it is raw material, you’re good.

2 Likes

Spring steel as bought in raw stock appears to be totally legal. However, please post it as an official q&a, along with other questions you come up with regarding fabrication rules. They are an absolute mess and VEX/REC need to revamp them if they want university students to take the program seriously.

4 Likes

Ah yes, my favorite robot decoration: abs.

2 Likes

Rock
Hard
Abs

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.