Stacking at an angle 1

I've seen designs of people intaking cubes onto a ramp and eventually stacking them by tipping the ramp to the vertical. An example can be seen in 1727G, 8059A-SingVex finalists (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHXg5mqd-EM)
  I was wondering what angle would be best for the ramp. Obviously, we want the angle to be horizontal enough that gravity holds the cubes stacked. We also want the ramp as vertical as possible so that we can make the ramp longer and still have a center of gravity well within the wheel base ( preventing tipping (I know I could use some anti-tip mechanism but i dont want to because I think it would make maneuvering around the field hard )). Finally, we would have to be sure that the cubes wont fly out with a sudden stop or a sudden reverse (obviously this would change depending on how fast your robot moves).
  I could spend a long time to figure out the calculation based on the speed your robot could move, but I would probably screw it up and then get eventually just give up and ask here anyways :joy::sweat_smile:
 an equation or a table would be amazing, thanks :)

uh idk how to take it out of the html format :confused:

I don’t have an equation, but I can tell you it mainly depends on your driver. The tray has to be vertical enough so that it doesn’t hit the towers. Also, it has to be at an angle low enough to be able to intake cubes comfortably and also not have too much pressure pulling the rollers apart.

PS I assume you are using intake rollers

1 Like

Again, no equation, however make sure that the intake rollers are very compact together. The problem I was having is that they didn’t have enough force to push up the fourth cube, and the angle of the tray doesnt matter at that point.

45 degrees is probably the sweet spot but you want to have a range to work with. It’s better to be able to go lower than 45 and you can fix it with code after.

1 Like