Stand off on shaft

Does anyone know how to connect a stand off to a shaft? I see people do this but I can’t find anything in my vex kit that would allow me to do such a thing.

1 Like

To my knowledge, connecting a stand off to a shaft is impossible to do easily. What you are probably seeing is a screw joint connected to a standoff.

Why? What is the purpose?

You can drill standoff with 1/4" bit and hammer the shaft inside.

I’ve never seen a shaft paired with a standoff, but suspect they are using an 8x32 die to thread the shaft. Do a search for tap and die to see how they work.

5 Likes

Just one thing next time remember to tag this topic properly next time, this should either be in EDR general discussion or tower takeover discussion. I don’t think there’s anyway to connect a standoff directly to a shaft, maybe they linked to an axle serving as a shaft.

My mistake. I am new to here. An what I am seeing is a stand off being screwed onto a shaft collar. My mistake.

To do this, you can use a standoff coupler, which crews into the shaft collar and then into the standoff.

4 Likes

but aren’t the shaft collar and standoffs different screw sizes? I know that’s how my teams shaft collars and stand offs are.

No, they are both 8/32. I think you’re referring to the drive sizes (the shaft collar inserts are 5/64).

1 Like

Okay that makes sense, I was thinking about the set screws that go in the shaft collar. Thanks, for your help