Standoff metal

Hey guys!

I’ve noticed that some of our standoffs are made of a softer metal than others, and that the softer ones get shredded when we try to remove a tight one with a wrench.

I’m assuming that this is because of a recent change in Vex’ supplier.
Does anyone know if the newer ones are better or worse?

Thanks,
Oren

I’ve never actually seen a standoff bend before… be it new or old

The VEX standoffs have always been aluminum, and I’ve never seen one that doesn’t strip with a VEX wrench. Get some good wrenches and they shouldn’t strip as easily.

If you need to tighten or loosen and are using the vex wrenches, I would suggest using more than one at a time. In some areas of my robot where I want to have the standoffs extra tight, I’ve used up to 4 vex wrenches along the same standoff to reduce stripping by spreading out the pressure.

That’s a good idea, Thanks!

If you still have some, use the old vex wrenches with the holes for axles in them. These are U.S. customary sized perfectly for the axles. The newer wrenches sold with the kits are cheaper and are the wrong size because they are in metric sizes too big for fit properly.

If you still have some, use the old vex wrenches with the holes for axles in them. These are U.S. customary sized perfectly for the axles. The newer wrenches sold with the kits are cheaper and are the wrong size because they are in metric sizes too big to fit properly.